Sleeping Beauty Disney vs Original

jason

empty
Sleeping Beauty Disney vs Original

The Disney Version:
In a faraway kingdom a King and Queen throw a party for their newborn daughter. They invite everyone from miles around, except a wicked witch. The witch gets upset about not being invited. She shows up anyway and casts a spell on the baby. On her 15th birthday the young Princess will prick her finger on a spinning wheel spindle and die.

A good Fairy attending the party softens the curse, changing it to 100 years of sleep instead of death.

The king tries to avoid the curse by burning every spinning wheel in the kingdom. But on her 15th Birthday the Princess discovers a tower chamber where an old woman is working a spinning wheel. The Princess tries her hand at it, pricks her finger, and falls asleep. So does everyone else in the Kingdom.

Thick impenetrable brambles grow around the castle. 100 years later, a young Prince shows up.

The witch throws the Prince into her dungeon. When he escapes the Witch turns herself into a dragon and attacks him. The Prince slays her, enters the castle and kisses the Princess, who wakes up, along with the rest of the people in the castle. The Prince and Princess live happily ever after.

The original version:
Disney’s version of the story is based upon Charles Perrault’s telling of the ancient fairy tale. They only tell half of the story.

In the original version the wicked witch disappears from the story after casting her spell. No brambles grow up around the castle.

The Prince just happens to arrive at exactly the moment Sleeping Beauty is supposed to wake up. The Prince secretly marries her, and they have two children, a daughter (Aurora) and son (Day). It isn’t until his father dies and he becomes king that the Prince invites Sleeping Beauty to his castle.

Eventually the Queen Mother discovers the truth. She orders Sleeping beauty and her children to be thrown into a cauldron of the carnivorous reptiles. In the nick of time the new King arrives home and the Queen Mother leaps into the cauldron herself.

A sample passage from the Original:
"The Prince - now the King - had no sooner left then the Queen Mother sent her daughter-in-law and the children to a country house in the wood so that she might more easily gratify her horrible longing. She followed them there a few days later, and one evening she said to her head cook, 'I will eat little Aurora for dinner tomorrow.'
'Oh no, Madam,' the cook exlaimed.
'Yes I will.' said the Queen Mother, and she said it in a voice of an Ogress longing to eat fresh meat. 'And I want her served with my favorite sauce.'
The cook, seeing that an Ogress isn't someone to trifle with, took his knife and went up to Aurora's room. She was about four years old, and she came jumping and laughing toward him, threw her arms around his neck, and asked him if he had any candy for her. He burst into tears, dropping the knife; then he went into the farmyard and killed a little lamb, which he served up with such a delicious sauce that the Ogress assured him she'd never eaten anything so tasty. Meanwhil, he carried Aurora to his own home and gave her to his wife to hide, so the Queen Mother wouldn't find her."

palefrost

I like the Disney version better. The ending is such a let down in the original one. The fact that she just wakes up and the prince is there and marries her isn't exactly ultra romantic either lol.

I like the falling in love with a dead princess part in the Disney version. To me he kissed her not knowing she was going to come back to life but just because he wanted to kiss her before she was buried. He was compelled to kiss her.

LyricB

Ah palefrost, what an eternal optimist you are...or at least a romantic. Either way, I have to agree with you. I guess I just like happy endings.

vicki2

Oh, I kind of like the evil Queen MOther jumping into the cauldron on her own ...great visual image and retribution there. Happy endings are nice, but that one is really good too!