Silence at 20 after

Isis

Have you ever heard the old wives' tale that no matter how many people are in a room, a sudden silence falls at 20 past the hour? Where do you suppose such an idea originated?

mythlvr

I have never heard this wives' tale. It is interesting to read about though. I am from the USA is this from the USA or another country? I am interested to see if this is true and I am going to a large gathering early next month and will actively pay attention to see if this happens. If it does I will come back and post the results.

Myrddin

Huh, I have not heard of this. I am interested to hear back about your results, Mythlvr.

Frumpy

I will have to check this out on my own. It would be so cool if it really happens. This wive's tale started after the Lincoln assassination which is supposed to have happened at 2o minutes past 8.

magickz

I will be keeping an eye on this one too but it does seem interesting to think about. Many people have random notes about times throughout the day and night (witching hour anyone?) so this one would be fun to check out. Where does it come from?

I have never heard of this story but I agree with the others, it is interesting. I think that the legends about times are really interesting because they always have an interesting origin. Was Lincoln actually assassinated 20 minutes after 8?

Allie-Gator

There are a lot of old wives tales that circulate. I don't think I'm buying into this one though. I'll see at the next club meeting I have. I wonder if it means meetings and such?