Shrek: Fairy Tale or Fraud?

Slashmire

Fraud would be going a bit far; it's an entertaining movie, loved it, and that's as far as I go with it. I think this is more of an uneeded debate on semantics.

harleysneak

You have some really strong views there on Shrek. I think it is a fairy tale, just a different kind of fairy tale. Who says all fairy tales have to be about the handsome young prince and the fair maiden and I definitely believe that Shrek teaches a lesson.

Melos

Wouldn't the message be something like "no matter who you are, you can find love and acceptance?"

Or maybe for Shrek 2 something about just being yourself and not trying to put on airs.

I think they are fairy tales, and they do have messages if you care to look past the joking.

LyricB

I didn't even know there was a third one in the works. I liked the first one but didn't see the second. I consider Shrek more of a fairy tale parody than anything else.

Slashmire

It may only be me, but the 2nd one is probably the best of the two (albeit the first one is still good.)

And as far as I've heard, a 4th one has also been accepted.

LyricB

A fourth? Holey moley. That's some advanced planning. I guess you gotta go with what makes money, right?

TinyStar

In a way, Shrek is a spoof or comedic look at the traditional fairytale.
The traditional fairytale would never have an ogre as a main character, let alone one that married a princess and lives happily ever after.
Shrek is thus a reversed fairytale and a spoof of the typical fairytale. That's what gives it it's appeal. Would you remember it quite as well if Shrek turned into a prince at the end and married Fiona?
No. Because there are dozens of fairytales out there like that - we've all read them and heard of them.

Melos

That is true that it is a spoof on the classic fairytale. I think they made that clear when Shrek wiped his behind on a page from the fairytale book in the beginning of Shrek One. They are just fun, anyway.

Slashmire

Yes, and the moment I remember is when he first find Fiona sleeping; he slowly walks, gets close to her, goes near her face and....shake the heck out of her :)

Tealight

I think 'Shrek 2' is also a bit of a parody on the Hollywood dream...

In fairytales there are many transformations by way of potions et cetera, as exemplified in Shrek. But the setting (Far Far Away, with its palm trees and movie set appearance), makes me think that the creators of Shrek are making a subtle reference to the cosmetic surgery phenomenon... As Shrek and Fiona find out, of course, looks are not everything, and there are side effects to getting what you think you want.

Gecko12

Yeah, I do not think Shrek is a Fairy Tale in it's own respect. I think it is just a compilation of parodies of many fairy tales, like how the Scary Movie series takes a comedic look at many of the popular movies.

shrek..

shrek is gr8...does it really matter whether or not its fraud...after all its just a joke and its really well done so its v.successful... but i do see your points....

livMB

I know that this thread is a little older, but I just wanted to add this point since I didn't see anyone else make it favor of Shrek. The Shrek movies are adapted from the children's storybook of the same title, it's sort of a modern fairytale. I'd also say that the movies in general are satire and they particularly poke fun at Disney adaptations of fairy tales.

enchantress

It's like a fairytale with a twist.. :) It's meant for the kids.

I thought the first was hilarious but the second was kind of not really already..

Tsukihime

Shrek is one of my favorite movies. It is a fairy tale because it it pretty much has elements of what a fairy tale is, like princesses, fantastic creatures like ogres, the godmother, Prince Charming, talking animals like Shreks' best buddies Donkey and Puss, etc. But what sets it apart from the traditional fairy tales is that the Shrek movies are given a modern twist. I agree with someone mentioning that it is a parody of Hollywoodd, but more so of fairy tales themselves. It breaks stereotypes, like the princess as always the damsels in distress but Fiona actually fights and uges other traditional fairy tale princesses like Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Cinderella to learn martial arts and not wait for outside help. And the ogres are always the ugly and nasty creatures but in the Shrek movies, the ogre is a kind-hearted creature, albeit a little coldd-hearted at first.