Scariest urban legend?

Katie

What's the scariest urban legend you've heard? I think mine would have to be the "Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the lights" one. I heard it when I was in first year college and I was in a dorm so it really freaked me out. Haha. I think the situation I was in really added to the scare factor. What about yours?

magickz

I remember my older siblings telling me tons as a child (I was the youngest) but right now I can not remember one for the life of me. I do however remember hearing a story about a nearby cemetery that they always used to initiate new kids into their gang by trying to stay overnight camped out around a creepy looking statue. I am pretty sure the place was haunted.

Katie

Ah yes, I'm the eldest in the family but the older brothers of my friends would scare me a lot with stories too. I remember one time they told me there was an alligator on top of the trees and would jump on me at night. I was naive enough to believe it. *facepalm*

Willowtree

My scariest was that the hoop snake would nurse from a cow and then roll itself into a hoop and roll after you down hills. Since I had to help milk the cows and the barn was on a hill, this made things worse for me. But I finally realized this was just an urban legend as most of the scary things are that you hear.

LegendofJoe

What's the scariest urban legend you've heard? I think mine would have to be the "Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the lights" one. I heard it when I was in first year college and I was in a dorm so it really freaked me out. Haha. I think the situation I was in really added to the scare factor. What about yours?
Haha
The show Urban Legends had a dramatization of that exact story. It was funny.

LegendofJoe

My scariest was that the hoop snake would nurse from a cow and then roll itself into a hoop and roll after you down hills. Since I had to help milk the cows and the barn was on a hill, this made things worse for me. But I finally realized this was just an urban legend as most of the scary things are that you hear.
It's sad, but I was actually taught that in elementary school as real biology.
The teacher apparently had a poor science background.

Calliope

Anything that has to do with cemeteries. When I was younger, there was one close to my house and the neighborhood kids would always talk about how the dead would come back to life at night. Of course that didn't happen, but it scared me nonetheless. :)

Myrddin

Here's one:

A young couple bought a small house at the edge of a small town in an area where all the buildings were built farther apart, and the walls of each of the homes were quite thick. Their first day in the new house, they started unpacking and organizing the place, and by the time night rolled around, they were both exhausted. Careful to make sure that all the doors and windows were locked and secure, they went to bed, falling asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillows. The night passed, and the husband woke up the next morning feeling well rested, but when he turned to his wife beside him, still supposedly asleep, he saw the sheets around her stained with blood, and her still half open eyes full of terror. What was more, the murderer's knife had been tucked neatly into the palm of his hand, and the footprints that had been left were smudged and led only from the bed to the wall mirror.

Interesting, huh?