Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny

doodlebug

Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny

Are Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny considered myths, fairy tales, or legends? Or could they possibly be all three?

doodlebug

I was just wondering because they are so much a part of American culture, yet they are not commonly mentioned when discussing fairy tales, myths, or legends.

Slashmire

I don't think that anyone would chop your head off if you said they were a Legend instead of a myth or vice-versa, so go with the one you like.

vicki2

All three, I guess. I've always sort of considered them folk tales though. They also vary from region to region and country to country.

TheFolklorist

TheFolklorist
I would classify Santa Claus as a “legend” because he is based off a real person; St. Nicholas of Myra.

The Easter Bunny on the other hand is a bit harder. In Germanic lore there is an “Easter Hase” and some trace the holiday back to the fertility goddess Eostre. I also remember reading in Rosemary Guiley’s The Encyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft about Romanian folklore concerning rabbits and the book having this picture of a female humanoid rabbit totem that was found in England on a fair ground after some gypsies had left. It was kind of creepy looking. Anyway, I would say the Easter Bunny is probably more a product of contemporary folklore than anything else.