Roman Myths suitable forkids

thymetraveler

Roman Myths suitable forkids

I have surfed the web, libraries & bookstores of the galaxy.

I cannot seem to find myth material suited for my granddaughter.:confused:

Even myth books labeled for children, have all the nasty looking chimera, & what not.

My daughter & I really want to stimulate an interest in myths for her, so I've very heavily edited existing stories.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be much story left.

I've put Pegasus & Pandora on CD for her, I'm going to go with the constellations next, any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Artemis

In my opinion, fairy tales are more suited for children than myths. Most mythical stories contain adventures that would not be readily understood or could be misunderstood by children.

TheReaper

I think the potential for misunderstanding is a danger from an educational perspective. It's probably better to wait until you feel she can handle and grasp the whole story in its proper form.

Nella

I have to agree (depending on her age) that you may want to wait to entice her with the lovely world of mythology. I did not start studying it until I was in my early 20's and still am trying to understand it.

Isabelle

I think you should wait until she is a little older and maybe stick with fairytales or another form of mythology that might be more suited to her age.

Talaria

my very first Fairy Tale book was Grimm's. My parents beat to the sound of their own drum. I remember being an outcast in Grade school when we were studying Rumplestiltskin and I insisted that at the end of the story he was split into two. My teacher laughed the students thought I was insane. I don't know any better so I have no suggestions.

Jonny Capps

If you're interested in myth-related material, check out Rick Riordan's stuff: Percy Jackson and the Olympians. They're fun, kid-friendly books that are based on mythological creatures. Actually, even being an adult, I kind of dig them.

DLegend

I agree with the others about waiting for some time before telling children about myths. Kids will normally understand stories as real life stories and they might misunderstood the myths.

Dianna

I think the decision to wait has to be based on the child. If you have two base it on the child who is least mature. Because of course, what you tell one, will get around to the other, or others!

Bona Dea

When I was younger I used to love the Horrible History series of books. These tell you all the nasty bits kids to hear, but in a suitable manner - I never forget being about 10 and first reading "How to Make a Mummy" from the Awfly Egyptians.

There has now been a TV series made in the UK, on the BBC, based on the books

Goddess2u

I think that you should be able to tell when she is ready and I admire that you are teaching her advanced things. I remember the different stories I was told as a child and if you want to get technical parents tell their children stories from the bible that could be considered to mature when they are babies basicly. Giving a child any type of knowledge is a great thing and I would just think you should be ready to answer questions that may have waited a little longer to be asked if she wasn't introduced to these myths.

Olsen

How about the one about Romulus and Remus? I don't think a story about two kids who were raised by a wild wolf and grew up to build a city that later evolved into an empire can be traumatizing for a child...

Pegasus

Here are two possible suggestions - the first is the story of Damon and Pythias - story about true friendship - and the other is there used to be a cartoon show called The Mighty Hercules Cartoon Show. if memory serves me right, it gives an introduction to some of the characters, but doesn't go into great detail. It could give you the chance to introduce the characters, and she if see has any interest. Although they may not be Roman myths, they are a good introduction into mythology in general.

Nadai

I read Ovid's Metamophosis to my kids all the time. They're still pretty little, but my son loves poetry-didn't get it from me-and they both seemed to really enjoy it. There aren't any pictures, but if you've got a good imagination, Ovid is so descriptive that you can pretty much make a picture up in your head. I don't know how old your grandkids are, but maybe you could try it out and see if they like it. Also Edith Hamilton's Mythology is a pretty good book for kids with an interest in myth. It's pretty PG and easy to understand. Again there are only a few pictures throughout the whole book, but it's still pretty great.
I started reading myth when I was in elementary school. Honestly I hated reading because I am dyslexic, but I read Edith Hamilton as a class assignment and fell in love with myth! I even took Classical myth in college. I think I was 8 or 9 when I started. From then on I could not put books down-as long as they had to do with some kind of myth. Reading still sucks for me, but I tend to forget about it when I'm reading myth or other books like it. I don't know about age requirements. Like I said, I started when I was young. I think if parents can introduce their kids to the Bible and other religion as babies and little kids then why not myth. They're kids, anything they don't understand they can ask about. In my opinion. I didn't read many fairy tales as a kid so I don't have much knowledge of them. In fact I only recently read Hansel and Grettel for the first time because my mom had been reading it to my kids. I think if they have an interest in myth then you should let them explore it. But like I said, that's just my opinion.
Good luck with your search!