Roman mythology in high school

Rhonda Tharp

It amazes me to think of the evolution of curricula from when I went to school to the present. In third grade there was a required music appreciation class, where, besides becoming familiar with the basic classical masterpieces, I learned to sight read music. This has profoundly affected the my entire life.
Thanks, man! The kids seem to crave it, and it reinforces the notion I have that they want explanations to things in their world - metaphorically, spiritually, as well as scientifically. I believe there should be a time in the day for kids to make interdisciplinary connections - connecting science to math, history to english, english to the arts, etc. I have tried endlessly to persuade administration to let me teach a humanities block, to combine literature, history, and the arts, but "there's no money for it."

I'm glad you were able to get that music appreciation in 3rd grade. Amazing that class was offered.

Myrddin

A few years ago I created a mythology class for 8th graders which covered myths from Greek, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Hindu, and Japanese and Chinese cultures. It was an 18 week course and I taught it for 7 years. Because of the budget cuts schools are facing, this elective was done away with. My students saw my boxes of Myth Curriculum the other day, and asked me if I could teach it again. Since my whole day is if filled with US History classes, I couldn't really do it...So we're going to have "class" after school for those that are interested.
I would love to be able to take such a class. Alas, I am now busy with Interactive Media, which takes up a lot of my time. When I have breaks, though, I still like to look at my fairy tale and mythology books.

If we do not understand the past, we cannot move into the future. I sincerely believe that study of different culture's mythology leads to a deeper understanding of them. It's the basis for their culture and the things they do now. I had wonderful teachers when I was growing up and we did study Bulfinch's mythology when I was in high school. It lead to a greater understanding of a lot of classical writings.

JanetW

I'm sad to say we didn't study mythology at all when I was at school. Wise Old Owl you are so right. If we do not understand the past we cannot hope to make a better future. My children haven't been taught any kind of mythology, and when you think that we are part of a global village now, it is sad to think that we do not share our myths from the past.

Athena

My introduction to mythology, both Roman and Greek, was in high school. I loved studying it and, fortunately, I had a wonderful teacher. It seems bizarre that mythology isn't valued as an important aspect of education today. It offers so much to open minds!

Myrddin

My introduction to mythology, both Roman and Greek, was in high school. I loved studying it and, fortunately, I had a wonderful teacher. It seems bizarre that mythology isn't valued as an important aspect of education today. It offers so much to open minds!
Mythology is very important to learn. Not only is myth a part of history, but it is also fairly often referenced in pop culture. It forms how we think, and we need to be able to understand it in order to understand ourselves, and just better understand ... how we tick.

thundergoddess

I haven't studied Roman mythology in High school. It's just the Greek stuff. No Aenid or Metamorphoses for me if it was up to the educational system in my country. What I studied in high school was great stuff, though. I really had great teacher in literature then. Don't judge by my poor English, because that's not my native language. We made a lot of interesting discussions and projects then so what I have learned in high school is very precious to me. I was familiar with mythology before we studied it in high school, I was advanced reader and I had my views and I have found some really important morals in what I have read but the high school teacher had very different point of view. She showed me entirely new aspects of the myths which were worth considering. But I really think this is exception, it's not the general rule and if you are advanced reader and you are caught up in something so much perhaps there is not that much to learn from school, because school programs are made for the majority of students and most of them get to know the world of mythology when they have to study for it so even if they are interested, they physically don't have the time to think over stuff that much and to get to know details so there is very slight chance that they'll make worthy opponents in a discussion.

Last edited:

Myrddin

I only took Greek myth in high school, but started studying others, including Roman, later. It's probably actually best to study Greek and Roman as Classic Mythology together because they are so closely related. Wish I could have done that when I first started. Oh, well, too late now. At least I know them, for the most part, now.

E. M.

But I really think this is exception, it's not the general rule and if you are advanced reader and you are caught up in something so much perhaps there is not that much to learn from school, because school programs are made for the majority of students and most of them get to know the world of mythology when they have to study for it so even if they are interested, they physically don't have the time to think over stuff that much and to get to know details so there is very slight chance that they'll make worthy opponents in a discussion.
True dat.