Roman, Greek, or Norse?

tater03

Roman, Greek, or Norse?

If you had to pick which mythologies are your favorite? Roman, Greek or Norse? I personally enjoy each of these, but would have to say my favorite is the Greek mythologies.

jason

empty
Out of those three, I would have to say Norse. But I prefer Irish over that.

It seems taht Greek and Roman are the most popular though.

TSA

Surprisingly, I never really got into Roman mythology all that much. So I would have to say Greek then Norse...Though they are both equally interesting to me.

Slashmire

Gilgamesh and Odin are quite interesting fellow; mixed with such worlds as Midgard and such, I'd have to pick Norse Mythology :)

Veles

I would have to say greek because I don't really know much about Roman and Norse (hope that this will change soon). Anyway, do you guys know anything about Slav mythology?

poopshoot47

Greek Mythology

Hey I was just wondering if any of you knew anything in Greek mythology that is used today. For example in commercials or logos anything you see thats Greek mythology, i know something i have seen recently in an AIG commercial with pandoras box, but if anyone has any idea please post some things!

Thanks

aprilcanadian

Much of roman mythology was adopted from the greeks! example zeus for the greeks is jupiter for the romans (very handy to know when its time to read the odyssey and illiad)

Greek and Roman for me tie as they are both very much related :eek:

Veles

actually, it was not inherited, but they all come from the one single proto-indoeuropean mythology...from the Norse, the North Indian, the slav,the Iranian, the greek, the roman, the baltic...etc
they all descend from the proto-indoeuropean pagan religion.

Nadai

Roman myth.
Though Greek and Roman are very similar, I really like Roman myths more, especially since Ovid was a Roman. I like that in a lot of Roman myth the gods aren't always portrayed as perfect, all-powerful beings. They have more human characteristics and can be seen being made to learn difficult lessons, suffering, being made powerless in certain situations, being shown up... Greek myth tends to show only the good side of the gods as little of it as there was to see.

Myrddin

Norse myth. There seem to be more monsters -- Fenrir, Jormungandr, Frost Giants, etc. -- and I like the monsters. Plus there is an obvious trickster, Loki, which in a certain respect, I can't help but admire just a little.

LegendofJoe

There a
I would have to say greek because I don't really know much about Roman and Norse (hope that this will change soon). Anyway, do you guys know anything about Slav mythology?
There are some books on Slavic mythology, especially Russian myths. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any stories that have come down to
us concerning the gods. We have some names and some beliefs as to how they were worshipped.
The stories are mainly skazki: folktales such as the Firebird and Baba Yaga.
Another type of story are the heroic legends called byliny. They deal with heroes during the time of Vlademir
in the 10th century.
A really good book to start with is Russian Folk belief by Ivanitts.

Myrddin

There's a good book of Russian fairy tales aptly called Russian Fairy Tales collected by Aleksandr Afanas'ev and translated by Norbert Guterman. I can't say I've read a lot of them yet, but what I have read of them I've found to be quite entertaining.

There are some books on Slavic mythology, especially Russian myths. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any stories that have come down to
us concerning the gods. We have some names and some beliefs as to how they were worshipped.
The stories are mainly skazki: folktales such as the Firebird and Baba Yaga.
Another type of story are the heroic legends called byliny. They deal with heroes during the time of Vlademir
in the 10th century.
A really good book to start with is Russian Folk belief by Ivanitts.
This looks like an interesting book too:
http://www.amazon.com/Anthology-Russian-Folklores-Cultures-Eastern/dp/0873326415/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2YKHS1Q722VN7&colid=301LFRV2ULTKC

There's a good book of Russian fairy tales aptly called Russian Fairy Tales collected by Aleksandr Afanas'ev and translated by Norbert Guterman. I can't say I've read a lot of them yet, but what I have read of them I've found to be quite entertaining.
Indeed, in the Pantheon Fairytale and Folklore Library. Excellent series.

RLynn

actually, it was not inherited, but they all come from the one single proto-indoeuropean mythology...from the Norse, the North Indian, the slav,the Iranian, the greek, the roman, the baltic...etc
they all descend from the proto-indoeuropean pagan religion.
Veles, could you explain more about this, or give some references? Fascinating concept!

RLynn

By the way, the firebird of Slavic folklore is apparently unrelated to the Phoenix firebird, but it is nonetheless a fascinating creature. The Stravinsky ballet of that name is an astonishing piece of music, but I have yet to see the ballet itself.

LegendofJoe

Yes! I read that book on Russian epics. It was one of my favorites!
I have a copy of the Pantheon book too, but have not read it yet. It's on the list.
So much to read, so little time.:(
Ah, a good one, is it? It's been on my to-get list for quite some time, but your recommendation will probably speed along the process.

I'm also in the same position with my own Pantheon....