Roanoke colony

greekgoddess31

I have often wondered what happened to the "Lost Colony" at Roanoke. There has been little proof of their fate over the years. Many rumors circulate though. Some hypothesize that they were absorbed by local Native American tribes, others that they were massacred by those same people. However over the years no bodies were ever found and not one ever came forward to say they were a part of that ill fated colony. So what do you think happened?

RLynn

I think it may always be a mystery. All the explanations so far are just speculation.

Rhonda Tharp

Hmmm, found this on a website...

Five Popular Theories:
1. The people of Roanoke simply left the settlement.
This is one of the more probable theories. It is said that they have supposedly left Roanoke island and started settling in the Chesapeake Bay. And that they built rafts or a boat of some sort using materials torn apart from their houses. Close to twenty years had passed before John Smith and his group started the well-known settlement of Jamestown (where the popular story of Pocahontas takes place). This settlement was near the Chesapeake Bay. The evidence in this tale is that the ruler of the natives did indeed admit to killing the colonists. They said that they had been in their land (Chesapeake Bay area) and were then annihilated to prevent more English settlers form stealing their land.
2.The whole population of Roanoke Island was killed by a disease.
This is an absurd theory. It is true that the English had brought over some diseases. However, note, there were no bodies found and the houses had disappeared. Quite a ridiculous theory.
3. The village was destroyed by a severe storm such as a hurricane.
Another one of the incredulous theories. A hurricane could have washed away the colonists and destroyed the houses, true. But the huge problem with this theory is the fence was still standing. It is not possible for a storm to do as much damage as clearing away the whole settlement when the fence remained untouched.
4. The people of Roanoke decided to leave Roanoke Island to live with the Natives.
This theory is definitely probable. Crotoan, which was carved on the post, was the name of an island in the area. It was also the name of the group of the kind natives that inhabited it. It is possible that they colonists decided to live with the natives of Croatoan. Though there has not been a descent amount of evidence to prove this theory, there also has been no evidence against it.
5. The colonists were killed by the Native Americans
This is the most probable of all five theories. One important fact supports this theory. As one may not know, the English men had before tried to start the colony of Roanoke before. Twas a group of fifteen men. A little over a year had passed since they first started the colony, before explorers decided to check up on their hopeful progress. What these explorers found was one dead body. It was verified that it was the work of the Natives. From this past event we know that the Natives were capable of such atrocities and also capable of hiding the bodies. What’s interesting is that the Natives pulled all of that off in between less than a two year period. While the “lost colony” had been deprived of its leader for a number of three years. The “Indians” had a sufficient amount of time to tear down the buildings too. However there has still not been enough evidence to verify this theory.

Pegasus

Thank you for sharing Rhonda! As the debates continue over what happed to the colony, here are some additional interesting theories. To back up some of the earlier claims, the settlers did not seem to leave under distress; if the colonist left under duress, they were supposed to put up a maltse cross as a universal signal, but none was found. Going on the theory of assimilation into the local tribes, it is at least of one belief that this marked the beginning of the Lumbee Tribe. As the speculation continues.....

Frumpy

The best part of these mysteries is the opportunity it afford us to speculate. It is one of those logic problems. You are almost sure you right, but then you find out a little detail that disproves you. What I would like to ponder about is: if they left willingly, why would they never let anybody know? Could it be that they did send messages, but they never got to the any where?

RLynn

Here is a bit of trivia. One of my great uncles, Wanchese Trivette, was named after one of the two Roanoke natives who traveled to Englend with Sir Walter Raleigh. (The other was Manteo.) Wanchese is now the name of a fishing village on Roanoke Island.

Bryan

personally I do not think they went missing. "Lost Colony" disappeared overnight with no bodies left and was suppose to be a permanent settlement. I for one and a paranormal believer and have my sight's on something more of a Ritual happened. A whole colony just disappeared with to track's bodies left behind nothing not a single trace. During the time you would have to believe some people studied dark art's especially when they have left to colonize and have freedom of religion despite having to follow a certain religion or be classified as a black sheep and shunned. I believe something dark happened there that is my personal opinion you all can disagree as you feel like. I just ask that you consider the possibility and don't look at my post as spam and uneducated.