Remembering philip seymour hoffman

Myrddin

Earlier today, it was discovered that great actor Philip Seymour Hoffman had died, apparently of a drug overdose, in his apartment. He partook in some great films including The Big Lebowski, Cold Mountain, Charlie Wilson's War, The Master and, most recently, The Hunger Games films "Catching Fire" and upcoming "Mockingjay". I think it is safe to say that we will all sorely miss him - I certainly will.

Misa

That is a true loss, to have lost such a prolific actor, director, and producer. August too seems a hard month for film, Robin Williams died the 11th on Monday, and J.J. Murphy dying Friday the 8.

Myrddin

That is a true loss, to have lost such a prolific actor, director, and producer. August too seems a hard month for film, Robin Williams died the 11th on Monday, and J.J. Murphy dying Friday the 8.
I heard about Robin Williams' death just yesterday and was quite upset at the news. It is certainly tragic. I am sure a lot of us, myself included, will mourn his passing.

E. M.

Last Spartan

I heard about Robin Williams' death just yesterday and was quite upset at the news. It is certainly tragic. I am sure a lot of us, myself included, will mourn his passing.
Call me insensitive if you want, but I find it difficult to be empathetic for one who chooses suicide because I've always viewed it as a coward's way out. Believe me, that view comes from personal experience.

But to his grieving family, friends, and fans, my heart goes out.

Misa

It may be your personal experience Last Spartan but it is just so, yours. If you are going to view something as one way no one can stop you and I will not argue what "a coward's way" might really be in the wake of this tragedy and loss - every death is not the same, just as every person is different, but do not expect your view to be the only one accepted on the matter. Many people view death in many ways, religious or not. Whatever personal reasoning Robin Williams had to end his life we may never know, but it does not change the fact that he passed by his own choice and hand and hopefully found what peace he sought in that. Maybe it was as people are saying depression or mental illness, maybe it is something private we will learn about in later weeks or years - maybe some of us will never understand.

I think in the wake of the loss of her father the blame and harassment that William's daughter Zelda Williams has endured because of the way her father chose to die is a disgusting and despicable thing to do to her. In that I think we agree.

Last Spartan

do not expect your view to be the only one accepted on the matter.
No, I certainly don't, I speak for no one but myself. Everyone is entitled to look at the world the way they choose and shouldn't be forced to accept another's viewpoint as their own.

I think in the wake of the loss of her father the blame and harassment that William's daughter Zelda Williams has endured because of the way her father chose to die is a disgusting and despicable thing to do to her. In that I think we agree.
No, there's no excuse for that. I think in this age of anonymity on the Internet and social media in particular, people have become accustomed to the idea that you can say or do whatever you want, including harass and defame others, online and not be held accountable, which is an appalling notion IMO.

Misa

It's being reported that Robin Williams was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease. Philip Seymour Hoffman co-stared with Robin Williams in Patch Adams, as Mitch Roman I've just found out.

Lauren Bacall passed away August 12th, she starred in The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996), To Have and Have Not (1944), The Big Sleep (1946), Dark Passage (1947), and Key Largo (1948), as well as comedic roles in How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) with Marilyn Monroe and Designing Woman (1957) with Gregory Peck.

Myrddin

Just my opinion, but thinking of suicide as "a coward's way out" is an appalling notion; it seems rather unfeeling and judgmentally put. Especially with someone you don't know! You have no idea how they may have been thinking or feeling, and as such, no place to say anything. At the very least it is on their own terms. I know enough about it to understand how unpleasant suicidal tendencies feel, and the emptiness that accompanies it. It ain't fun.

E. M.

Myrddin

Lauren Bacall passed away August 12th, she starred in The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996), To Have and Have Not (1944), The Big Sleep (1946), Dark Passage (1947), and Key Largo (1948), as well as comedic roles in How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) with Marilyn Monroe and Designing Woman (1957) with Gregory Peck.
That's sad. I recognize some of those titles - a few Bogie films in there, I believe. And a Cary Grant? I like Marilyn Monroe and Gregory Peck. Have you seen Roman Holiday with Peck and Audrey Hepburn? LOVE that one.

E. M.

Last Spartan

Just my opinion, but thinking of suicide as "a coward's way out" is an appalling notion; it seems rather unfeeling and judgmentally put. Especially with someone you don't know! You have no idea how they may have been thinking or feeling, and as such, no place to say anything. At the very least it is on their own terms. I know enough about it to understand how unpleasant suicidal tendencies feel, and the emptiness that accompanies it. It ain't fun.
I know he wasn't thinking of his family, that's for sure. What kind of parent burdens their children with such grief? Not only was it a cowardly act, it was a selfish one. Suicide doesn't end the hurt, it shifts it on to those you love.

Myrddin

I know he wasn't thinking of his family, that's for sure. What kind of parent burdens their children with such grief? Not only was it a cowardly act, it was a selfish one. Suicide doesn't end the hurt, it shifts it on to those you love.
Don't get me wrong, I fully believe you are allowed your own opinion, but that's kind of harshly put, and rather offensive. And I will say again, you know nothing about man, really, or what led up to his final decision, so ergo you have very little to no ground to stand on to say whether or not it is a cowardly or selfish act. Are you familiar with the phrase, "Don't speak ill of the dead"?

E. M.

Myrddin

Everyone, when I started this thread, it was to mourn the loss of beloved celebrities, NOT to bash them. Please try to refrain from negative feedback on this topic; this is a sensitive subject.

E. M.