Psyche

Myrddin

That's kind of a cute story. Don't know much about Psyche, though, but yeah. Based on her name, I would think she would have something more to do with thought and the mind.

Nadai

Actually the way I learned the myth was that Eros has two types of arrows, lead makes people fall in love and gold makes people hate. He was going to shoot her when he pricked his finger and fell in love. Her sisters were married to wealthy men and her father was trying to marry her when he received word that she was to be given as a sacrifice to a monster. She was terrified, but had no choice. In the middle of the night she was prepared for her wedding then taken to the woods and left. Zephyr came and whisked her away to a beautiful palace in the sky. She had everything she could ever want and invisible servants who gave her whatever she asked. At night Eros (though she didn't know who he was) would come to her; after a time she fell deeply in love. Eventually she asked to see her sisters; Eros warned her that, when they saw what she had, they would be jealous, which they were. They convinced her that her husband was really a hideous monster and told her that she had to kill him. The next night when he came to her she was prepared to kill him; when she saw who he was she dropped her knife, but wax from her candle dripped on his skin and he woke, up saw what she had done and left. She tried to call him back, but he wouldn't come to her. Eventually, because she was so heart-sick, she begged for Aphrodite's help. After a series of ridiculously hard tests Eros finally came to her, but unfortunately the goddess tricked Psyche; the last test killed her. Eros saved her life by giving her Ambrosia, which gave her immortality and so she became a goddess as well to Aphrodite's consternation. And they lived happily ever after.
It's actually one of my favorite love stories after that of Cephalus and Procris.

jerri

When you explain it like that it sounds like a bunch of mind games which does suit the name better. Thanks Nadai for the info.

Enchanted

Wow that is a beautiful story. Great post Nadai! Now I am dying to know what happened between her and Aphrodite next?! Hehehe, you should edit the wiki, I want to know where I can read more of this...

Nadai

Wow that is a beautiful story. Great post Nadai! Now I am dying to know what happened between her and Aphrodite next?! Hehehe, you should edit the wiki, I want to know where I can read more of this...
Thank you.
The story of Psyche and Eros can be found in Edith Hamilton's Mythology. Hers was the first I'd ever read of Psyche and I thought it was fabulous. There are others of course, I think Ovid mentioned her in his book of love stories, but I can't be sure. You can also try Powell, but as I said, Edith Hamilton's was my favorite.

Nadai

I have Edith Hamilton's book, but haven't read it yet... I think I'll read it next.
It was assigned reading when I was in elementary school, but I have read it several times since. It is a very good book: informative, easy to understand, and great imagery.

Myrddin

It was assigned reading when I was in elementary school, but I have read it several times since. It is a very good book: informative, easy to understand, and great imagery.
I picked it up a few years ago, but have not yet gotten into it. I have now officially promised myself that it will be the next thing I read ... after I've finished The Academy, of course. I think it will be a good one to read well it school. Starting next week!!!

Nadai

I picked it up a few years ago, but have not yet gotten into it. I have now officially promised myself that it will be the next thing I read ... after I've finished The Academy, of course. I think it will be a good one to read well it school. Starting next week!!!

Well I hope you like it as much as I did. I've never heard of The Academy. I'm looking for a good book, I've just finished one of Gena Showalter's series and I've been trying to find something interesting. What is your book about may I ask?

Myrddin

Well I hope you like it as much as I did. I've never heard of The Academy. I'm looking for a good book, I've just finished one of Gena Showalter's series and I've been trying to find something interesting. What is your book about may I ask?
The Academy is a fictional book, horror story by Bentley Little. Nothing to do with mythology. Essentially it's about a school that's converted to charter, and weird, and disgusting, things start happening. Like I said, it's horror. Anyways, afterward I plan on going to Mythology. Something considerably lighter, at least in mood. What is Gena Showalter's series?

Nadai

The Academy is a fictional book, horror story by Bentley Little. Nothing to do with mythology. Essentially it's about a school that's converted to charter, and weird, and disgusting, things start happening. Like I said, it's horror. Anyways, afterward I plan on going to Mythology. Something considerably lighter, at least in mood. What is Gena Showalter's series?
Gena Showalter has a series called Lords of the Underworld. It's a collection of supernatural romances.
"Long ago, twelve immortal warriors stole Pandora’s box. Now they carry its evils within themselves: Violence, Pain, Death, Disease, Disaster, Misery, Doubt, Promiscuity, Defeat, Lies, Secrets, and Wrath. When a powerful enemy surfaces, they will travel the world in search of sacred relics of the gods in hopes of putting an end to the one that threatens to destroy them all."
Each book basically follows a few of the characters as they search for these relics that will save them. The Titans have recently overthrown the Olympians after escaping from Tartarus; some of them help, like Cronus, and some of them try to stop them, like Rhea. It's an interesting twist on the myths especially since, at times, she combines Greek myth with Christianity. In the last book I read the main character journed to Hell by way of the Styxx to face off with Lucifer whos brother happens to be allied with the Titans... it can be a bit confusing if you don't pay attention, but it's very interesting. I've never been one for romances, but these books have so much action that you tend to foget that they're falling in love as well as fighting to save the world. It's a lot like Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunters Series. Except Kenyon goes more with Atlanteans/Olympians rather than Olympians/Titans.

Myrddin

Gena Showalter has a series called Lords of the Underworld. It's a collection of supernatural romances.
"Long ago, twelve immortal warriors stole Pandora’s box. Now they carry its evils within themselves: Violence, Pain, Death, Disease, Disaster, Misery, Doubt, Promiscuity, Defeat, Lies, Secrets, and Wrath. When a powerful enemy surfaces, they will travel the world in search of sacred relics of the gods in hopes of putting an end to the one that threatens to destroy them all."
Each book basically follows a few of the characters as they search for these relics that will save them. The Titans have recently overthrown the Olympians after escaping from Tartarus; some of them help, like Cronus, and some of them try to stop them, like Rhea. It's an interesting twist on the myths especially since, at times, she combines Greek myth with Christianity. In the last book I read the main character journed to Hell by way of the Styxx to face off with Lucifer whos brother happens to be allied with the Titans... it can be a bit confusing if you don't pay attention, but it's very interesting. I've never been one for romances, but these books have so much action that you tend to foget that they're falling in love as well as fighting to save the world. It's a lot like Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunters Series. Except Kenyon goes more with Atlanteans/Olympians rather than Olympians/Titans.
Sounds like a good series. I will have to give it a look.

Every story, I think, has elements of romance. I can't think of a book I've read where there is none. I guess because, always at one point or another, romance makes its way into everyone's life; it's just a part of it. Therefore, it can't be helped but to be included in writing fiction.

Allie-Gator

I've never heard of those. I have read Edith Hamilton's mythology and Bulfinch's mythology when I was in high school and college. I love the Dark-Hunter series and have read some of them, but not all.