Presidential folklore

greekgoddess31

We have all heard the story about George Washington and how he couldn't tell a lie. How he told his dad he chopped down the cherry tree. This story is probably not true but it is only one of the many stories that abound about our fearless leaders. What is your favorite Presidential story?

Pegasus

Two stories about Abraham Lincoln that I thought was interesting. First one was when he was a storekeeper how he walked a mile (on foot) to return change to a customer. The other was how he supposedly wrote his homework out on the back of a shovel using a lump of coal as he did not have a pencil. Talk about necessity is the mother of invention!

greekgoddess31

It's funny how these stories get started isn't it? I am sure that they are highly exaggerated like when our parents say they walked a mile in knee deep snow uphill both ways to school everyday. :)

Willowtree

Yeah, my daughter once told me she had to study with a friend because it was an assignment that was assigned to two people. She didn't tell me it was her boyfriend at the time and they were studying at the movies. It's amazing what you can find out if you pry a bit.

Olsen

The "I cannot tell a lie" quote attributed to Washington is nothing more than an urban legend. His biographers researched his life in detail and concluded he never made such a statement. In fact, Abraham Lincoln was generally much more honest than Washington, according to most historians...