Pregnancy myths/old wives tales

Liz

I know a lot of people who try to find out the gender of their babies with different old wives tales methods. I know a lot of people are into the Chinese calendar prediction method. Just curious to see who thinks that is accurate? Where do they even get these myths/old wives tales from?

Bobby Givens

I don't think any of them are an accurate way of predicting what you are having. I am not sure where they came from but who knows how a lot of those stories got started

Willowtree

I've never heard of a way to predict when the baby will come but I've heard that most women go into labor around a full moon or if it's raining. One strange myth I heard was that a pregnant mother wasn't supposed to raise her arms above her head or she would "strangle" her baby. Of course it's nonsense but interesting nonetheless.

Calliope

I tried figuring out the sex of my baby through all of those methods--the Chinese calendar, how high I was holding my baby, the kinds of food I was eating. However, i just knew that I was having a boy and I did. :)

cherub

My friends and family tried all the tricks to figure out the sex of all three of my kids, the ring, the way I was carrying (low or high), the foods, etc... Every test was different and I had 3 girls, so I don't believe in them.

Diana

I tried these when I was pregnant as well, none were really that accurate. However, my grandmother did the ring test and it predicted all 8 of her children, I wonder if it wasn't just coincidence.

Skeptic sister

I have a friend in Chicago... show her a picture of the mom-to-be, from the side, at about 6 months along: she'll tell you if it's a boy or a girl, and damned if she isn't ALWAYS right. That she has 8 of her own may have something to do with it. She just looks at the mom and how she's carrying, and knows... it's creepy.

Isis

I think all those myths originated because people are naturally curious as to the gender of the child they are carrying and don't want to wait to find out. None of them are accurate although they can be fun.