Poverty

RLynn

I can't sleep. In the grocery store this evening I saw an older woman with a teenage boy standing in front of the meat display. Their clothes were tattered and patched. They didn't speak to each other or even reach out to examine the packages of meat. They just quietly looked for several minutes, and then slowly moved on. Although (or perhaps because) I am myself at the borderline of poverty level income, I thought about this later, and kicked myself in the @$$ for not doing something to help. These people were desperately hungry, and I had a bit of money to spare. I didn't think of this at the time, but there was a bell ringer outside the store. I could have put a twenty in the pot and also slipped him a twenty, on condition that he give it to the woman and boy when they came out, but my reaction time is slow. I feel very, very guilty.

Toni

I had a similar experience once. Someone I knew was in the grocery line in front of me and didn't have enough to pay for their groceries. There were children involved and they ended up having to put some things back. After I got home, I too, kicked myself for not thinking to pay for the rest of their groceries. How could I have missed this opportunity? It didn't even occur to me at the time. Am I that selfish a person. Was that a test? Did I flunk the test? This happened several, several years ago and it's still fresh in my memory so you know it still bothers me. If I ever get the chance, it won't happen again.

It's hard to know what to do at the time some things like this happen. But, I don't think it's a test. It's more of a learning experience. If you come upon the same situation again, you will surely act differently.

Isabelle

I think that it is wonderful that you wanted to help...even if it was after the fact. So many people just don't seem to care about others at all anymore. We never have extra money, but I do try to give to the local food pantry when I can. I hope that it helps someone at least in a small way. I know it helped us when we needed it.