Perseus

Nella

The story of Perseus is the story I think is exactly what is meant by karma coming back to hit you. Perseus threw a discus and hit his grandfather killing him.

Jonny Capps

True, but Perseus also took care of Medusa for us, and he got to ride Pegasus. That kind of earns him some stripes in my book.

Artemis

He used Medusa's head as a weapon against his enemies and that makes him a wise god to me. How is he related to Heracles/Hercules?

Poseidon

Did A Search Under Greek gods a while back and found out that both Persus and Aphrodite are listed as the last of the TITANS...
The Movies say that Hes Zeus son, but hes actually Chronos Son...Born to kill his brother Zeus.

Myrddin

Did A Search Under Greek gods a while back and found out that both Persus and Aphrodite are listed as the last of the TITANS...
The Movies say that Hes Zeus son, but hes actually Chronos Son...Born to kill his brother Zeus.
No idea where you found that information, but there a few things wrong there. First, neither Perseus nor Aphrodite are titans. Aphrodite is a goddess and Perseus is a demi-god (born of a god and mortal woman). Also, in every story I've heard anyway, Perseus is Zeus's son. (As well, the death by discus was an accident.)

The story goes that Acrisius, the king of Argos, heard an oracle that his grandson would overthrow him, so determined to not let this happen, he locked his daughter, Danae, in a tower where no man would ever be able to see her, and thus, logically thinking, she would never bear a child. However Zeus spotted her and, doing what he does best, raped her and she bore Perseus. Upon discovering this, Acrisius sent both of them away out into the sea where, far away on the island of Seriphos, Danae made a home for her and her son, before he was sent out on the quest to kill Medusa. Many years later, well after the completion of this quest, Perseus was married to Andromeda and was back in Argos for a discus contest. He won as he threw his the farthest, though it went well out into the crowd and accidentally killed Acrisius. Perseus, being the rightful heir, became the new king, thus fulfilling the prophecy.

Argus

True, but Perseus also took care of Medusa for us, and he got to ride Pegasus. That kind of earns him some stripes in my book.
Not sure that Perseus did get to travel by Pegasus, think was his winged sandals, still not a bad way to travel!

Myrddin

Yes, it was winged sandals given to him by Hermes, that Perseus travelled by. Pegasus wasn't born yet, as he was the offspring of Medusa's blood -- dripping from the severed head carried by Perseus over the ocean -- and Poseidon's waters. As Medusa's blood mingled with the water below, Pegasus came galloping out of the waves, as was his birth.

Caburus

Pegasus, along with his brother Chrysaor, sprang straight from the bloodied neck of Medusa, being her children by Poseidon (their sexual liason was the cause of Medusa being turned into a monster). When Perseus flew over North Africa on his way home, the blood that dripped from the severed head became venomous serpents and scorpions - hence why there are so many in that part of the country.
It was Aphrodite who rose from the waves, much earlier, having been born from the blood spilt from Ouronus' genitalia that were cut off by Cronus.
Interestingly, the same instrument (an adamant sickle) used by Cronus was the same one used by Perseus. Perhaps it gave blood a special generative power?

Myrddin

You are right of course. I got the birth of Aphrodite confused with that Pegasus; for some reason I thought Pegasus had come galloping out of the waves. Oopsy! :oops:

Caburus

The foam on the crest of waves are viewed as Poseidons horses that pull his chariot, and Pegasus was the son of Poseidon and a horse, so all the links are there. Its a nice image.

Alejandro

He used Medusa's head as a weapon against his enemies and that makes him a wise god to me. How is he related to Heracles/Hercules?
He wasn't a god, but his father Zeus was (as was his uncle Poseidon, see depicted above ;)). He was Herakles' great-grandfather, and great-great-grandfather, and also his half-brother, since Herakles was also a son of Zeus. This is how Herakles traced himself back to Perseus through Herakles' grandparents Elektryon and Anaxo:

Herakles - Alkmene - Elektryon - Perseus
Herkales - Alkmene - Anaxo - Alkaios - Perseus