Percy jackson books

WoodNymph

I absolutely love the Percy Jackson books. No, they don't contain actual mythology, but they did open the door for my kids to become interested. Before these books, my kids could have cared less about mythology of any sort. Now they are interested, not only in this series, but in learning more about the "true" stories of the gods and goddesses mentioned.

greekgoddess31

I have wondered if these stories are any good since I saw a piece of the movie a few months ago. I might have to go check them out.

WoodNymph

I have wondered if these stories are any good since I saw a piece of the movie a few months ago. I might have to go check them out.
The movie is OK, but definitely read the books. They are humorous and engaging, and contain much more mythology than the movie. My 4th grader and 7th grader love the books equally. As a parent, I really appreciate books that appeal to a good variety of ages, especially when they are learning without realizing that they are learning.

Isis

So the stories are not accurate myths, just loosely based on them? I haven't read the series or seen the books so I don't know much about them.

Goddess2u

I didn't know there were books on this series. I actually did like the movie and my girls enjoyed it as well. I am going to look into the books and see if I can find them.

Quentin Woolery

I really liked the books. I find myself gravitating toward young adult literature, especially after reading something really dark. I don't know if they still teach mythology in high school. I did take Latin classes and learned quite a bit there. I love reading the old stories.

Gavin

some of the storys in it are based of actulal staorys i agree but its not all true but i say its a good way to get started on greek mythology.

Ladyhawk

I have yet to read the Percy Jackson books, but I was able to catch the movie a few days ago. I do have to admit that it is pretty interesting to focus a story around the children of the Greek Gods and Goddesses. The best part is that it does incorporate the mythology in a different way. Like Gavin said, it's a great way to get reluctant readers started on mythology and even compare the happenings in the Percy Jackson books to the actual Greek myths.

justbelieve

What is the series of books that you are talking about? I don't think I've read any Percy Jackson before but I really want to read them. I want to learn more about Myths and Goddesses. Can you direct me the right way with some of his better books?

Allie-Gator

This is a link for the series: http://www.percyjacksonbooks.com/ . It has a listing of all of the Percy Jackson books. They are in the young adult section of the library if you are interested. Percy Jackson is a young man who finds out he is the son of a Greek God and a human mother thus making him a demigod. The books are about his adventures after he finds out who he really is.

WoodNymph

What is the series of books that you are talking about? I don't think I've read any Percy Jackson before but I really want to read them. I want to learn more about Myths and Goddesses. Can you direct me the right way with some of his better books?
Percy Jackson is the main character in these books. The author is Rick Riordan.

He has also started a new series set in Egypt. The first one is called The Red Pyramid. This series is about Egyptian gods and goddesses.

justbelieve

Awesome ~ Thanks for the link and for explaining that to me. I am certainly interested and I bet my kids will be too if it's for young adults. We all love to read and we don't really read much about mythology and gods.

Katie

The books are great!! The movie, not so much. I really enjoyed reading them. It felt like a Homeric epic set in today's world and allows us to imagine how the gods and goddesses would interact in a modern day setting. It makes Greek mythology more relate-able and interesting most especially to kids who don't really have an extensive background of Greek history.

Bobby Givens

I only just recently watched the movie, but it has caught my attention. I have the books on my must read list now. I will be checking them out from the library as soon as possible.