Percy jackson and the lightning thief - ba thesis

Thobick

Hi everybody :)
I am a student and I'm writing BA this year. As the main book I choosed the first volume of "the Olympians" series. I want to compare it with the original mythology. This is more a free idea and I still wonder on what should I focus. For example, I thought about that I could compare differences between mythological characters and their original mythological counterparts; or with more problematic - Oedipus complex at the example of Percy (mixed feelings about his father); and a couple minor matters. I appreciate every idea that would make my mind clearer - what should I do (I have a little chaos in my head :)). I'd rather prefer problematic issues than descriptive ones.
P.S. I'm sorry for my grammatical and language errors, I'm not English. I couldn't find a good forum in my language, so I came here :) I hope you understand me.

Myrddin

Hi everybody :)
I am a student and I'm writing BA this year. As the main book I choosed the first volume of "the Olympians" series. I want to compare it with the original mythology. This is more a free idea and I still wonder on what should I focus. For example, I thought about that I could compare differences between mythological characters and their original mythological counterparts; or with more problematic - Oedipus complex at the example of Percy (mixed feelings about his father); and a couple minor matters. I appreciate every idea that would make my mind clearer - what should I do (I have a little chaos in my head :)). I'd rather prefer problematic issues than descriptive ones.
P.S. I'm sorry for my grammatical and language errors, I'm not English. I couldn't find a good forum in my language, so I came here :) I hope you understand me.
I understand you perfectly fine. If you don't mind my asking, though, what is your first language? Just curious.

My first thought is how different the characters are - and who, in Percy's time, would still be alive and who should already be deceased - i.e. Medussa. Then there is the relationship between Hades and Persephone, which is drastically changed (as is the relationship between Hades and the other gods). Of course, if you wanted to trickier, you could look at the similarities, as they are way more scarce.

I know what you mean by having a jumble of thoughts, and chaos in your head. I get that a lot when writing. First I have one idead, then I think of another, and then another. Soon I'm writing about five different stories and none of them get finished. (Five warps into twenty, then twenty into forty, and so on.) Ugh. It's hard to focus on just one thing. :(

E. M.

Thobick

I understand you perfectly fine. If you don't mind my asking, though, what is your first language? Just curious.

My first thought is how different the characters are - and who, in Percy's time, would still be alive and who should already be deceased - i.e. Medussa. Then there is the relationship between Hades and Persephone, which is drastically changed (as is the relationship between Hades and the other gods). Of course, if you wanted to trickier, you could look at the similarities, as they are way more scarce.

I know what you mean by having a jumble of thoughts, and chaos in your head. I get that a lot when writing. First I have one idead, then I think of another, and then another. Soon I'm writing about five different stories and none of them get finished. (Five warps into twenty, then twenty into forty, and so on.) Ugh. It's hard to focus on just one thing. :(

E. M.
If u ask, my first language is polish :)
First of all, thanks for your answer, your ideas are noted. As I said, I want to focus only on the first volume - The lightning thief. The whole series is too much, I'd prefer to focus on only one, but do it more hmm thoroughly if you know what I mean, and the dissertation about the first volume will be the best to read for someone who doesn't know the series. As far as I can present the relationship between Hades and the other gods, his relationship with Persephone wasn't shown enough (we got more details in the further volumes).
Oh, it's good that someone understands me :) I hope I will deal with this work on time. If you came up with any idea, write it here, please.
Maybe someone else will come here and throw in some other idea :)

Myrddin

If u ask, my first language is polish :)
First of all, thanks for your answer, your ideas are noted. As I said, I want to focus only on the first volume - The lightning thief. The whole series is too much, I'd prefer to focus on only one, but do it more hmm thoroughly if you know what I mean, and the dissertation about the first volume will be the best to read for someone who doesn't know the series. As far as I can present the relationship between Hades and the other gods, his relationship with Persephone wasn't shown enough (we got more details in the further volumes).
Oh, it's good that someone understands me :) I hope I will deal with this work on time. If you came up with any idea, write it here, please.
Maybe someone else will come here and throw in some other idea :)
I only know the first one, The Lightning Thief, so I don't know anything about what happens in the later books. Also, it's been a while. I didn't like it very much, though; it strays too far from the original myths for me. Still, I may try to get back into it.

Not to worry, there are a lot more myth buffs here. Someone else is bound to post soon.

If I think of anything else, I will post it for you.

E. M.