Pan

Goddess2u

I found this information on Pan and thought it would be interesting to share it with you all. I couldn't remember which God was part goat and part human and now I am sure I won't forget any time soon.
PAN
Pan was a god of shepherds and flocks. Pan was the son of Hermes and a nymph. He was born with the legs and horns of a goat, which caused his own mother to spurn him.
Nor was the adult god more popular with the nymphs. Echo ran away from him and lost her voice as a consequence, being condemned only to repeat the words of others. Another fleeing nymph was transformed into a reed, which inspired Pan to invent the shepherd's pipe of bound reeds of varying lengths.
Pan was considered to be the cause of the sudden fear that sometimes comes for no reason, especially in lonely places. That's why it's called "panic".

fibi ducks

Thanks for this. There seem to be so few stories about Pan. I don't know why, but he strikes a chord with me in a way that most of the gods don't. Perhaps because I imagine he always goes to the wild places. I once read that he was the only god who had been reported dead. The story - I only half remember it - is that some sailors on a passing ship had shouted out to shore (or another ship) - and that their shout was heard as "The great god Pan is dead". But this was later explained as a mis-hearing of something else (I forget what). All the same, Pan is said not to have been heard of since then.

Pegasus

Pan has an interesting history. He is also associated with Spring and fertility. In addition, Pan was also known as the god of groves, wooded glens, and fields. There is a story of Pan who challenged Apollo to a music challenge.

RLynn

I love the passage in The Wind in the Willows (a book for children and those adults who are wise enough) where Mole and Rat see Pan.

Mole: 'Rat' he found breath to whisper, shaking. 'Are you afraid?'

Rat: 'Afraid?' murmered the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love. 'Afraid! of Him? O never, never! And yet--and yet--O, Mole, I am afraid.'

Ronnie

I know he's not popular but I really like to read about Pan. I love music so it was partly that drew me to him. I like the story of Echo too, very interesting.

Diana

We were just discussing pan with the upcoming Celtic festival of May Day approaching. It is a fertility festival and Pan is very popular amongst it.

LegendofJoe

I went to a Wiccan May Day festival once. Very interesting.
We were required to bring a mask and a long ribbon. The ribbons were tied to the top
of the Maypole and we wound our way around it so that the ribbons got shorter and shorter.
The Maypole is seen as male and the earth as female. The sexual imagery is obvious.
One of the priestesses also consecrated some salt, fire and water for the occasion.

It isn't much crazier than any other religion when you think about it.

fibi ducks

In London now there's a may day march every year organised by the trade unions. I don't know how they came to choose this day. Its a strange combination.

Nadai

I found this information on Pan and thought it would be interesting to share it with you all. I couldn't remember which God was part goat and part human and now I am sure I won't forget any time soon.
PAN
Pan was a god of shepherds and flocks. Pan was the son of Hermes and a nymph. He was born with the legs and horns of a goat, which caused his own mother to spurn him.
Nor was the adult god more popular with the nymphs. Echo ran away from him and lost her voice as a consequence, being condemned only to repeat the words of others. Another fleeing nymph was transformed into a reed, which inspired Pan to invent the shepherd's pipe of bound reeds of varying lengths.
Pan was considered to be the cause of the sudden fear that sometimes comes for no reason, especially in lonely places. That's why it's called "panic".
I think you may have the story of Echo confused. Echo was cursed by Hera because she was helping Zeus hide himself during his affairs. Echo would go to Hera and distract her with meaningless conversations to keep her from looking for Zeus...when Hera found out, she cursed Echo so that she could only speak if someone first spoke to her, and then she could only repeat the end of whatever that person said.