Orpheus and lot

jerri

There have been a few posts here comparing mythology to the Bible. I think the story of Orpheus looking back at Eurydice while rescuing her from Hades compares almost exactly to Lot turning into a pillar of salt.

LegendofJoe

There have been a few posts here comparing mythology to the Bible. I think the story of Orpheus looking back at Eurydice while rescuing her from Hades compares almost exactly to Lot turning into a pillar of salt.
Nice comparison.
To me the greek story is a lesson on the futility of going against the reality of death.
In the Biblical story it is a description of God's petty wrath when you don't do exactly as He says.

Olsen

I've never thought about the similarities between these two stories. Now, that I gave it some thought, I find it quite interesting that it is the woman, in both cases, whom must pay the ultimate price for the disobedience.

Rhonda Tharp

Love comparative mythology! These cultures are thousands of miles, and in some cases, thousands of years apart, yet there are similarities. There is a Buddhist Hindu version of this where the wife asks Yama for her husband back. She strikes a deal with Yama and her husband is able to come back, but she had to give up half of her longevity so her husband could live. In Japan, Izanagi goes to the Underworld to claim his wife Izanami but he turns around too soon (like Orpheus) and she turns into a heaping pile of maggots. Interesting to note that she died in childbirth while having the God of Fire - Agni...

Isis

I never made that connection, but you are right, the similarity is striking. However, I don't think it was Lot who looked back and turned into a pillar of salt; it was his wife who disobeyed and was punished.