Omens

Skeptic sister

I've encountered a lot of really neat "omens" and superstitions about sightings/happenings/occurences .... a Welsh tidbit about finding a bird in your home but having no idea of how it got in: someone you love is about to die.

Some of the older families in the British Isles have haints of warning that come, Banshees or howling dogs, fish jumping in a certain river....

I've spotted a FLOCK of bald eagles in a soaring pattern near my home, something that made my jaw drop in awe... symbolically, well, let's just say that's huge!

What sorts of "omens" do you know of? Share?

Katie

I've heard about dreaming about your teeth would mean someone near to you is going to die and to avoid it you should flip your pillow. Something like that, I think I'm mixing them up now.

Pegasus

Here are some interesting ones I found: If an arrowhead is worn as an amulet, it can ward off evil. Unwelcome company may come and pay you a visit if a broom falls in your home. I am not sure how to make this into an amulet, but pine cones can also help ward off evil.

Nadai

I know a lot of deam omens, but one that I always thought was interesting is that if you dream of a bear it can mean either that a friend will betray you or that you will have to make a difficult decision concerning work.
This is one that I know very well because I had such an insane dream about a bear that it made me want to look it up. Before I got a chance to I discovered a coworker of mine stealing money! A while later I bought a book to enterprit dreams and the first one I looked up was the bear and guess what I found!
I've also heard that if you split a pole, meaning you walk on one side and someone else walks on the other, it's bad luck. I do this all the time, usually unintentionally; if you do split the pole you're both supposed to go back and walk by the pole again without splitting it.

Myrddin

Here's one:
I have heard that if you sight a large black dog, called a Grim, it means that the witness will die sometime in the next few days. Of course, I have also heard that if you see a vampire, you will soon lose your soul, and become one yourself. This has never yet happened, and I have seen many a vampire (albeit, on television).