Odin - was he an extremist ?

Camma

"Odin" is a name that most people have heard, even if they know nothing else about Norse mythology. Now I like the stories associated with Odin, he had a great sense of justice - but was he a bit of an extremist or maybe an exhibitionist. He exchanged an eye for wisdom and he hung himself in a tree for nine days to gain power over the runes/secrets.

LegendofJoe

I don't know if exhibitionist is the right term. He was extreme when it came to his quest for knowledge, and filling his hall Valhalla with the best warriors. He sat on a thrown called Hlidskjalf that saw the entire universe in panorama.
But then again, he had a sense of doom over his head since he knew that the day of reckoning was to come. According to one interpretation I heard; he was trying to hold off the end by keeping an eye on everything. That is the spirit of Germanic myth in general: no matter how doomed you are, no matter how destiny is @##$%$ you, never give up and go down fighting.

indianaj

How extreme he was or not is a reflection on the culture that spawned him. Vikings lived in one of the toughest environments of Europe, there belief was that dieing in battle will grant them access to "heaven" so to speak. I don't think a mild mannered God would have sufficed.

Ladyhawk

I agree, the Vikings were a tough people. They lived in a harsh environment and were best-known for their strength and power. No way would a mild-mannered God work for them. Their gods had to be somewhat harsh in some way, and Odin had to be one of the toughest of them all.

Libros

It speaks to Odin's valour of how much of his physical body he was willing to give up to obtain wisdom. No other member of the Aesir seems to have gone to the lengths he did. Self-sacrifice earned him ownership of some of the most powerful magic in the world. It was probably a good paradigm for Norse warriors to follow; give of yourself that you may gain greatness.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film