November 9th government eas test

Enertia

I read this on Snopes, and I guess it can not really be considered an Urban Legend, until after the 9th. Many emails are circulating, saying the government is doing an EAS test at 2pm on the (th of Novemember. This part is confirmed true, but some are saying the government is cutting all the power in the nation off. Others are saying all methods of communication, will be cut off, for 3 minutes.
What do you think about this? Crazy how one simple test, can freak out so many people. I hope nothing goes wrong, while they are testing!
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/eas.asp

Isabelle

This is true and you can find it on any mainstream media news website and nearly all the government websites including the FCC website. It outlines why they are doing the test, how long it should last etc...

magickz

Never heard anything about this floating around. Where did you hear this of, or read it online? Tons of stuff is going on lately with the hoaxes, I am amazed there is not a specific news group going after this guys.

jerri

I know about the EAS test-I've gotten an email from my ISP but I didn't hear about the power going out too. I wouldn't be surprised though if it did go off by accident, glitches happen. I just wish they would be doing it at 2AM instead!

Enertia

I think I first heard about the test, from a commercial on television. Then I stumbled upon the urban legend part online. I am just wondering if this test is something new, the government has come up with, because we have never had a major test. My fear, was some terrorist would take this time to do something, then everyone would be confused about the test. The article I read, said something about the fact that your tv station, might not show the test as one of those "this is only a test", things. I am sure that would confuse many people!

I saw a commercial for it on television but I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's only going to affect radio and television programming. It's not going to cut off power or general communications.

Isabelle

We don't have tv so I haven't seen any commercials, but I have heard one or two on the radio. The news stories I have seen on CNN and MSNBC on the computer several times. I haven't heard about any plans to turn off the electricity too, but I wouldn't be suprised. hopefully it will all go off without a problem.