Norse history and runes

Chintai

Does anyone here read Nordic rune stones? I think they are really fascinating and if you would like to read more about how the writings of the Eddas influenced this development check this site out.

Eulalie

Oh, what a great website. Thanks so much for sharing it. I have always been intrigued by runes and those who could read them. I use to actually have a shareware program that was supposed to be similar, I just never understood what it was all about.

LegendofJoe

I learned to read the Runes a few years ago. I even enjoy divining by them. I'm a bit skeptical though; I do it for fun at parties and would never charge anyone for a reading. Alot of modern Rune books are written by occultists. I came across a book recently by a serious scholar named R. I. Page (Runes: Reading the Past). He does not talk much about divination, but concentrates on the proper reading of them on monuments. The Elder Futhark by the way is a reconstruction. There is no existing artifact or monument that has the Futhark spelled out exactly the way we see it in books.

LegendofJoe

Another thing I would like to say is that learning the English equivalents to the Runes is not that difficult. Some Runes even look like their English versions. For example:T, R, I, B.
It is harder to learn their names and meanings: B is Berkana (birch), R is Raido (wagon, ride).
Harder still is their further interpretation that is used for divination: Birch-healing, renewal. Ride-a journey, voyage.
These interpretations may be a little more conjectural however.
Have fun. Edred Thorsson's books are popular. I liked the little known book The Enchanted Alphabet by Peterson

RLynn

It is interesting about Odin seeing the Runes while hanging upside down on the World Tree. I've always wondered whether that might be the origin of of the Hanged Man card in the Tarot deck, but I've never seen a reference to it.

LegendofJoe

It is interesting about Odin seeing the Runes while hanging upside down on the World Tree. I've always wondered whether that might be the origin of of the Hanged Man card in the Tarot deck, but I've never seen a reference to it.
Hi RLynn
The Tarot as we know it comes from Italy in the 15th century. The stories of Odin are much older, but they are more northern.
Who knows, I guess it is not impossible.

RLynn

Thanks for the comments. By the way I'm curious about your forum name. Does it have to do with The Bronx? If so, I can think of two Joes who might fit, one is the legendary NY Yankees slugger, the other is a fictional Joe character created by the playwrite John Patrick Shanley, who grew up in The Bronx.

LegendofJoe

Thanks for the comments. By the way I'm curious about your forum name. Does it have to do with The Bronx? If so, I can think of two Joes who might fit, one is the legendary NY Yankees slugger, the other is a fictional Joe character created by the playwrite John Patrick Shanley, who grew up in The Bronx.
Hi RLynn
I AM from the Bronx! I've been living here most of my life. That is so funny that you mentioned that.
However, I chose the name simply because my name is Joe and this site has to do with myths and legends. That's all.
But thanks for the info on the Yankees and the writer Shanley. The Bronx gets little respect, so it is good to learn a bit about famous people who hail from here.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film

RLynn

Here is a bindrune I created for my initials: RLS (raido, laguz, sowilo).

Then I noticed that it also contains a bunch of other other runes, including kenaz, gebo, wunjo, naudiz, isa, tyr, ingwaz, othala.

Toni

I gave a set of these stones, with instructions, to a friend who was battling cancer at the time. I meant for them to be a blessing to her. She took them that way and for whatever reason, is now cancer free. I find the reading of the stones very intriguing and will check out chintai's link.

RLynn

Toni, I just noticed that my RLS bindrune also contains your forum name: Tyr, Othala, Nauthiz, Isa.