New names for fairytales?

tater03

New names for fairytales?

Have you ever run across a fairytale that has a different name then the orginal one. Example would be Little Red Riding Hood. I used to have a very old book of fairytales and in that book they called this story The Little Girl With the Red Cape. I wish I still had that book, it would probably be worth alot today.

jak80

That is very interesting. I myself have not come across that. I am sure that there are other occurances of that. I am sure that if you still did have that book it would be worth a lot.

Slashmire

Well, perhaps not in title per se, but the Red Riding Hood herself seems to have different endings, such as the wolf dying, the wolf not dying, hunter coming in before she's eaten, etc.

TinyStar

The various endings have to do, more than likely, with not only tales of a similar sort coming from various countries but the censoring of fairy tales.
For example, the original version of Red Riding Hood often has the hunter killing and then gutting the wolf in order to rescue both Little Red and her grandmother. This was seen as too violent and appropriately censored.
Same goes for Rapunzel. Rapunzel's witch mother first got the idea that someone had been sneaking up to see her because of Rapunzel's own big pregnant belly. It wasn't till after that that she tricked the Prince and blinded him.
As for the renaming of fairy tales, I don't recall seeing this except in the cheaper books. You know, like the 25 cent books you get at Dollar General and such.