New greek movie "the immortals"

Rhonda Tharp

Anyone seen or heard about this? I just looked up Tarsem Singh (check out The Fall) and noticed "The Immortals" is due out sometime this year. :)

Eons after the Gods won their mythic struggle against the Titans, a new evil threatens the land. Mad with power, King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) has declared war against humanity. Amassing a bloodthirsty army of soldiers disfigured by his own hand, Hyperion has scorched Greece in search of the legendary Epirus Bow, a weapon of unimaginable power forged in the heavens by Ares. Only he who possesses this bow can unleash the Titans, who have been imprisoned deep within the walls of Mount Tartaros since the dawn of time and thirst for revenge. In the king's hands, the bow would rain destruction upon mankind and annihilate the Gods. But ancient law dictates the Gods must not intervene in man's conflict. They remain powerless to stop Hyperion...until a peasant named Theseus (Henry Cavill) comes forth as their only hope. Secretly chosen by Zeus, Theseus must save his people from Hyperion and his hordes... Written by Anonymous

WoodNymph

Sounds like a great movie. From what I've read it's supposed to come out late in the year: 11/11/11. I wonder whether the number 11 figures into the movie somehow, or if it was due to be ready in November so they chose a cool date?

Alejandro

Can't remember how recently I saw this: late last year or early this year (on the silver screen, no less), &, while I really hate to hate, it's the absolute worst thing I've watched in aeons!!! (& word on the street is there might a sequel... Face-paw.)

LegendofJoe

Anyone seen or heard about this? I just looked up Tarsem Singh (check out The Fall) and noticed "The Immortals" is due out sometime this year. :)

Eons after the Gods won their mythic struggle against the Titans, a new evil threatens the land. Mad with power, King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) has declared war against humanity. Amassing a bloodthirsty army of soldiers disfigured by his own hand, Hyperion has scorched Greece in search of the legendary Epirus Bow, a weapon of unimaginable power forged in the heavens by Ares. Only he who possesses this bow can unleash the Titans, who have been imprisoned deep within the walls of Mount Tartaros since the dawn of time and thirst for revenge. In the king's hands, the bow would rain destruction upon mankind and annihilate the Gods. But ancient law dictates the Gods must not intervene in man's conflict. They remain powerless to stop Hyperion...until a peasant named Theseus (Henry Cavill) comes forth as their only hope. Secretly chosen by Zeus, Theseus must save his people from Hyperion and his hordes... Written by Anonymous
I saw it with my geeky myth-loving friends! It was fun and we had a good time. It is by no means a great film, but if you just want to see something
fun and with a mythological theme, by all means give it a shot.
We also enjoyed the Wrath of the Gods! The Immortals is in a similar vain: over the top action and effects. Not for the stodgy professor
types, or for mythology purists.

RLynn

Can't remember how recently I saw this: late last year or early this year (on the silver screen, no less), &, while I really hate to hate, it's the absolute worst thing I've watched in aeons!!! (& word on the street is there might a sequel... Face-paw.)
Horrors! What is this world coming to? :rolleyes:

Alejandro

Haha. Dare I venture that the series Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess (which seem to get a kick out of poking fun at the myths upon which they're based) are much more fun than old Tarsem's rendition of Greek myth, which, by the way, I'm not denying is composed of really pretty pictures & awesome use of SFX? & the funny thing is that all the actors in Immortals are, in my opinion, just gold, baby, gold! :cool: But the flick which they ended up in... yah, not so much. Ah, well, despite the horror... the horror (of Mickey Rourke's bunny-eared helmet in that movie), there's still always Clash of the Titans (both versions - yes, even the one with Sam Worthington as Perseus :() and Disney's Hercules.

RLynn

Wow, Alejandro, you have watched more pseudo-mythological flicks than I. We might as well face it, people are not interested in accuracy, just entertainment. Those involved in screen productions look to any source for ideas, including mythology and the bible, fidelity to the source be damned. The entertainment value is, of course, paramount ($$$$). However, a good action flick is still not a waste of money, and a mythological theme may enhance it a bit (with allowances made for the required suspension of disbelief or disapproval).

Alejandro

Yeah, but that's just my point! While I may tend to be a stickler for details & source-material accuracy, I like my eye-candy & onscreen explosions just as much as the next guy. But the execution of some screen productions reduces their disbelief-suspension quotient to almost nil! In the case of Immortals, however... >sigh< ... there's no one I know personally who agrees with me about just how awful it is. Its wobbly characterisation of the gods is almost as bad as them not having the gods at all in the movie Troy (unless we count the rather unfortunate appearance of Thetis in the beginning). All the same, I think a charismatic villain coulda salvaged Immortals, but evidently that's just me. (Must be that film/animation-student sydrome they injected into my veins some years back.) On the same note, it would seem that these days there is one form of source material whose accuracy it is even more sacrilegious to mess with than the Bible, namely: comic-books! :eek:

Myrddin

...while I really hate to hate, it's the absolute worst thing I've watched in aeons!!! (& word on the street is there might a sequel... Face-paw.)
"Hate to hate"? That's kind of contradictive isn't it? ;)
I haven't seen Immortals, though I have heard it is bad. That seems to be the general consensus. And they're planning on making a sequel?!? What is it about sequels these days? Are they starting to run out of original ideas?!

Alejandro

"Hate to hate"? That's kind of contradictive isn't it? ;)
Oh, no, not all... ("love to hate" is just a tad bit mo contradictory, methinks) :p
What is it about sequels these days? Are they starting to run out of original ideas?!
I think they ran out of those awhile back. Now it's just remakes, sequels & prequels (now there's gonna be a prequel of Monsters, Inc.[!]), & awaiting really good novels which may or may not be butchered onscreen (kinda like the terrible number Village Roadshow Pictures did on Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned). But since I'm claiming to hate hating ;) I s'pose I'd better provide a positive inverse of that, e.g., Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, whose movie rendition, however (& I can't believe I'm actually saying this), I think, was just a little bit too serious in comparison to the book, whose characters seem to have had more fun than their older, slightly grimmer movie counterparts. But on the whole, it was good stuff!

kingkronos

The immortal movie has a contradiction in mythology. They say that the gods had the power to kill one another, when in greek mythology that was the only thing that they can't do. And the movie was fine. But it didn't feel like greek mythology. Zeus doesn't have his lightning bolt, titans were just "not good", they are supposed to be giants and infinitely strong, and have powers. But unfortunately they weren't. Also, the war between the titans and the Olympians was so destructible that it damaged the sky, but in the immortals movie, Zeus ended it destroying a mountain. Which was kinda bad, considering that it should have been much more.