New fairy tales?

palefrost

New fairy tales?

I was wondering if any new fairy tales have been created within the last 10 years. I cant think of one off the top of my head. Can anyone else name one?

Slashmire

It all depends on how you depict Fairy Tales. In all likelyhood, you could say that Shrek by itself is kind of a fairtale...kind of.

jason

empty
Thats a good question. I personally cannot think of any off the top of my head. But there are a lot of childrends writers out there, and I would guess there has been one. Hmm.. That almost makes me want to go out and do some research on that. I may have to do that.

LyricB

That's true. There are some relatively new stories which can be fashioned into fairy tales with the right adjustments, I would imagine.

Slashmire

I think we see fairy tales as extremely old stories that have been passed out through generations, maybe in a hundred years from now, today's story will obtain such status.

palefrost

frang;535 said:
Ah, but Shrek was created in 1990.

Wasnt this the greatest?! I love Shrek so much because it really revived the whole magical fairy tale land. I hear we have two more movies coming out soon.

Slashmire

Hmm not sure about where 1990 comes into play, but Shrek first came to theater in 2001, Shrek 2 in 2004 and Shrek 3 is slated for 2007

lefterian

I think that there is a main thing that distinguish the old fairy tales with the new.
The thing is that the old tales sprang from people's everyday life. Their simple life and mind as well as their close relationship with nature were sources of inspiration for them. Their fairy tales were, in some way, spontaneous.
In the other hand, when you read fairy tales from earlier writers, you often have a sense that they told: "Now I will sit to my office and write a fairy tale". I don't want to underestimate the technique in writing but I believe that it isn't the main point.

Also, I think that in order to write a good fairy tale for children you must be a 'simple' and innocent mind. And this is difficult in our times - but not something that cannot be achieved.

Jonny Capps

If you're looking for new fairy tales, check out Bill Willingham's comic book "Fables". It's been running for about eight years, with some excellent stories coming out of it. Some of the main characters are Snow White, the Big Bad Wolf, Old King Cole, Little Boy Blue, and virtually any fairy tale character that you can think of. Mowgli (from Kipling's "Jungle Book") even appears occasionally. Hey, that's another "modern" fairy tale!