Mythology in name brands

Oak Leaves

When we were in high school, the teacher had students list all sorts of products and advertising that took names from mythology in their branding. Can you think of any ones that stand out? Nike comes to my mind right off the bat. So does Olympus cameras and Argo starch. Do they still make that starch? Do people still use starch?

fairywings

What a fun game! There are so many brands that use mythological names. I can think of a few: cyclops bikes, Helicon publishing, Hermes, Juno, Pandora jewelry, Orion pictures, Odyssey travel, Midas,

Setharoth

Yes, Argo still makes starch and other baking products. I buy Argo Cornstarch all the time.

Oak Leaves, I'm unfamiliar with Nike as part of mythology. Could you tell me a bit about the story and what branch of mythology it fits into?

greekgoddess31

Atlas Van Lines, Amazon, Trident gum, and Spartan stores all come to mind but I am sure there are a ton more. I never really thought about it before but this was a fun exercise.

Myrddin

I don't know Robin Hood, but King Arthur is available in specialty food stores. It's 'organic' (whatever that means :)). It's good flour, but no better than Pillsbury as far as I can tell.
Organic means that the product has no chemicals in it; it was grown or produced naturally.

The other day, I went past a music store called Zeus. I thought it was particularly interesting as Apollo is the Greek god of music, while Zeus, so far as I know, has nothing to do with music.

fibi ducks

maybe some of these stores are just named after the gods, but some are really owned by them. its easy to imagine the greek gods gone into business. And after all they are immortal and where have they gone?

RLynn

Hercules music stands, Sol Inc. (solar lighting), Cyclops flashlights, Phoenix technologies, Ford Thunderbird, Mozilla Thunderbird (software), Mercury automobiles. (The Thunderbird is from Native American mythology.)

Oak Leaves

Yes, Argo still makes starch and other baking products. I buy Argo Cornstarch all the time.

Oak Leaves, I'm unfamiliar with Nike as part of mythology. Could you tell me a bit about the story and what branch of mythology it fits into?
Setharoth, Nike was the Winged Goddess of Samothrace. She was also called Nike of Samothrace. She is the Greek goddess of Victory. Sometimes she's called just "Victory," I think. I remember her because I've seen the famous statue by the same name in the Louvre. It is stunning. It stands at the corner turn in a large stairway in the Louvre. You see her as you descend a large marble or granite set of stairs. It's been 20 years since I saw her, but I'll never forget that expanse of wings made of marble.

Myrddin

I remember her because I've seen the famous statue by the same name in the Louvre. It is stunning. It stands at the corner turn in a large stairway in the Louvre. You see her as you descend a large marble or granite set of stairs. It's been 20 years since I saw her, but I'll never forget that expanse of wings made of marble.
It sounds amazing. I would love to see this statue.

magickz

Fun topic to think about, I doubt most people pay attention sometimes to such little details like a name. I always have since I like to know what I am buying and about the company behind the product.

Isis

maybe some of these stores are just named after the gods, but some are really owned by them. its easy to imagine the greek gods gone into business. And after all they are immortal and where have they gone?
Wow, that's an interesting thought! It'd be an excellent way to remain incognito (although why they would, I don't know) and obtain revenue in lieu of sacrifices/offerings.

fibi ducks

Apollo has the most businesses I think - or named after him. Maybe its just the cool thing for gods these days - to say they're not into in being worshipped.