Mythology graduate programs

magickz

Has anyone ever taken a course before? I am looking into some programs to take besides this but I caught this one and have been researching nonstop to see if its something I can work into my other stuff.

OracleLady

Rhonda, I love Joseph Campbell. Anything you find by him is something to grab and work through. I have a set of his tapes on "The Power of Myth" as well as the book. I listen to the tapes when I'm driving. His stuff is filled with things that help you make connections. I love what he says about young people "needing a new mythology." I've not take courses per se, but I've taught high school mythology courses a number of times. My students enjoyed the Campbell tapes, especially the "mytho geeks."

LegendofJoe

I checked out that institute years ago. I wasn't impressed: too much Campbell/Gimbutas worship.
The curriculum was not comprehensive in providing the student with a detailed analysis of world mythology.
Unless things have changed they were not even accredited.
According to mythologist Wendy Doniger of the U. of Chicago, the best way to get into mythology is to
study an ancient language and culture (for her it is Sanskrit), and then branch out on your own into
the field.
She was nice enough to tell me this in a private communication some years ago.
I'm sure there can be other ways too.

fairywings

I would have also enjoyed taking a course in mythology but my school offered none specifically on this topic. I have checked online and found some options. It is on my to do list for this year!

LegendofJoe

I would have also enjoyed taking a course in mythology but my school offered none specifically on this topic. I have checked online and found some options. It is on my to do list for this year!
If you live in NY there are some continuing education programs that I took that had to do with mythology.
NYU and the New School had a few that I took.

Rhonda Tharp

I checked out that institute years ago. I wasn't impressed: too much Campbell/Gimbutas worship.
The curriculum was not comprehensive in providing the student with a detailed analysis of world mythology.
Unless things have changed they were not even accredited.
Found out that Pacifica Institute is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. :)