Myth of how salt came to be in the oceans

TheLoreman

Hello again.

I have another question regarding the origins of a Myth about how salt came to be in the oceans. The one I'm aware of is from Japanese Mythology - but I can't recall who the characters were.
Anyone have a clue?

LegendofJoe

There is a Norse myth about this.
A king named Frodi purchased two giantesses as slaves so they can turn two huge millstones that he had.
The stone were magical so he had them grind out whatever he wanted. He made them grind out peace and prosperity, but would not let them rest much.
So the slaves ground out an army that helped a viking kill Frodi.
Their new master was hardly better: he made them grind out salt on a ship nonstop. The ship became heavy with salt and sank.
Thus the sea became salt. I might be wrong, but i think as the story goes, they might be still grinding out salt at the ocean bottom.

Libros

Tell us the myth's details and we might help further.

I know a Chinese morality myth involving two brothers and a magic stone grinder that produced whatever is wished until you said "Thank you" for it to stop. One of the brothers was humble and polite and so could control the grinder. The other was brother was rude, jealous and greedy, and stole the grinder and ran to the beach. He ordered it to produce salt to sell so he could be wealthy, but forgot to say Thank you for it to stop. He drowned in the ocean under a mountain of salt and the grinder continues to grind away today producing salty water.

TheLoreman

Well as I recall you both seem to be very close to the way I remember it. I do recall two grindstones being dropped into the ocean and that they continue to grind salt. However the finer points of the deatails escapes me.

However this could be one of those Myths that are shared - with just a few subtle differences in place. Thus determining the origins could prove tricky. Thanks though Libros and Legend of Joe.

Pegasus

Not being well versed at all in Japanese Mythology, I tried to do a bit of quick research. I was not able to find out how they believe it came to be that salt filled their oceans, rather they speak about a brother and a sister Izanagi and Izanami that were standing on the floating bridge of heaven, and stirred the ocean with a spear. While doing this, salt spilled out, and this is what created one of their islands. Japanese Mythology is intriguing and I came across some creatures such as the Kappas that live in the ocean, once again a whole new world to explore.

TheLoreman

That's still a lovely tale. Better than the one I recall in fact. I imagine the Japanese myths would be swelling with wonder tales. In time I hope to explore them further myself.
Thanks for that Pegasus.