Movies with a mythological theme

Chablis

Do you like movies with a mythological theme? I have always enjoyed movies with a mythological theme. One of my favorites has always been Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor.

DarkFolly

I do! Actually, mythologically-centered movies are what got me interested in mythology in the first place. I think the first one I saw was Clash of the Titans (the original one).

Toni

If you have not seen "The Lightning Thief" I highly recommend it. It deals heavily with mythological creatures and situations from Neptune to Athena to Zeus himself. It also has Hades in it and a little scare factor.

Insights

I loved the tv series Xena: Warrior Princess, a spinoff of Hercules. My most favorite mythological movies are The Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers and Return of the King.

Nadai

I prefer shows, books, and movies like Lord of the Rings, The Dark-Hunters Series, etc., that are a spinoff of something else, rather than movies like The Lightning Thief that are supposed to be straight from myth, but are full of errors. When I watch movies like that, all I seem to ever do is point out inconsistencies between the movies or books and the actual myths.

jerri

I recently worked my way through the Legend of the Seeker series on DVD. It was a lot more interesting than I thought it would be because I'm not usually into medieval movies.

Myrddin

I prefer shows, books, and movies like Lord of the Rings, The Dark-Hunters Series, etc., that are a spinoff of something else, rather than movies like The Lightning Thief that are supposed to be straight from myth, but are full of errors. When I watch movies like that, all I seem to ever do is point out inconsistencies between the movies or books and the actual myths.
I'm like that too.

Yes, I did this most recently with "Thor."

Ditto.
I couldn't even sit through the whole thing. I was watching with my mother and her sisters and they kicked me out because I wouldn't stop talking:oops:
Neither could I! I watched it in fifteen minute bits over the course of several days. Really, Patrick Doyle's score was the most redeeming element of the film, in my opinion. :p

Nadai

Neither could I! I watched it in fifteen minute bits over the course of several days. Really, Patrick Doyle's score was the most redeeming element of the film, in my opinion. :p
That's how I had to watch The Lightning Thief. Fist off how can virgin goddesses have such a slew of children. Secondly, the gods swore that they would no longer mix with humans after Paris chose Helen over the goddesses... don't get me started!

All-things Percy Jackson struck me as pretty juvenile, so I never watched the movie, and when I picked up one of the books and read where the Sphinx was some kind of game-show host, I was disgusted and almost insulted with the lack of respect and the overall levity in which the subject matter was dealt with.

Nadai

All-things Percy Jackson struck me as pretty juvenile, so I never watched the movie, and when I picked up one of the books and read where the Sphinx was some kind of game-show host, I was disgusted and almost insulted with the lack of respect and the overall levity in which the subject matter was dealt with.
That's funny. I never knew that those were the types of books that they were. In the writer's defence, I believe that they are supposed to be for kids and meant to be a fun spinoff, but that is a bit much for me.

That's funny. I never knew that those were the types of books that they were. In the writer's defence, I believe that they are supposed to be for kids and meant to be a fun spinoff, but that is a bit much for me.
Yes, they are for kids, but a gameshow? >_>

Back on topic, I noticed that Legend with Tom Cruise was mentioned in another thread; that is an interesting conglomeration of many different bits of folklore, and I do enjoy the movie, but a friend's comment on it was that the film seemed too disconnected, as if the screenwriter had put all of his folkloric ideals into a post and melded them into the finished product.

Another film I enjoyed recently was The Secret of Kells, an animated adventure involving Celtic mythology.

Nadai

I've never seen or heard of either, but The Secret of Kalls sounds interesting. I don't really get a chance to watch many movies unless they're for children. I mostly tend to stay with books because I can read at any time, but sneaking away from two toddlers to watch a movie isn't always doable for me.
I'm not really a fan of Tom Cruise, but I've been known to make acceptions.

I've never seen or heard of either, but The Secret of Kalls sounds interesting. I don't really get a chance to watch many movies unless they're for children. I mostly tend to stay with books because I can read at any time, but sneaking away from two toddlers to watch a movie isn't always doable for me.
I'm not really a fan of Tom Cruise, but I've been known to make acceptions.
I'm not sure what your criteria for a children's movie is, and since I do not have children, I can't speak from experience, but I didn't think that SoK would be unsuitable for children. I'm not usually a fan of the "Nickelodeon"-style animation, but the storyline and atmosphere was just too enchanting.

greekgoddess31

I do like movies centered around myth. I saw the original Clash of the Titans when I was a kid and I have been hooked ever since. I agree while Percy Jackson is slightly entertaining it is so far off the myths.

Nadai

I'm not sure what your criteria for a children's movie is, and since I do not have children, I can't speak from experience, but I didn't think that SoK would be unsuitable for children. I'm not usually a fan of the "Nickelodeon"-style animation, but the storyline and atmosphere was just too enchanting.
I'll look into it, thanks, TS.

Nadai

I don't much care for the style of animation, but it looks interesting, if not a bit advanced. I'd be willing to take a look at it. Thanks for the recommendation.