Movies and mythology

Chintai

I enjoyed reading this article about various movies which are based on mythological history and figures. I can't say I agree with everything written but a lot of it rings true.

Rhonda Tharp

Myths were created for several reasons: to teach morals/lessons, to entertain, to warn/give caution, to share family and cultural history, and to spiritually guide the listener. Stories have been told for centuries and there are only so many combinations of story plots, themes and characters. Myths have been recycled so many times, that people don't realize what they see on tv and in movies has already been shared a thousand times over.

I was surprised not to see Star Wars on the list, as George Lucas was a follower of Joseph Campbell - a mythology expert. I was also surprised not to see LOTR on the list - as the whole story takes place in Middle Earth (Midgard), and then he forgot the Matrix which is loosely based on Buddhism (to be awakened or enlightened)... Where was Pan's Labyrinth? Guillermo del Torro has done a bunch of movies with mythological back drops (Hell Boy II is based on Celtic myth). And finally, Pirates of the Caribbean has more ties to myth than people might realize. Sure there's Calypso, Davy Jones, and an Aztec gold curse, but look at the trickster archetype - Jack Sparrow. He is Hermes and Loki bound into one. Hermes gutted a huge tortoise and made a harp, which was later given to Apollo, and Jack Sparrow rode "sea turtles" and found haven in Tortuga. Loki played advocate for both sides, stealing, lying and cheating when necessary but also making things right... again Jack Sparrow, talks/charms his way out of most situations, but then redeems himself by helping Will stab Davy Jones' heart...

Most action movies use Joseph Campbell's hero formula for their main character: grew up with one or no parents, has friends that don't believe in the hero's cause, has a mentor or mystical assistant, is given a weapon, knowledge, or power, goes in search of identity or material possession, finds identity or possession.

Matrix - Neo/One
Star Wars - Luke Skywalker
LOTR - Frodo (and Aragon)
Harry Potter
Star Trek - Cpt Kirk
Dark Knight - Batman
Superman
Spider Man
Pan's Labyrinth - the princess
Iron Man
Shrek
Braveheart - Wm Wallace
Gladiator
Chronicles of Narnia
(then there are the obvious movies based on myths like the ones mentioned in the article)

Then there's the Disney "hero" formula:
Lion King (MacBeth all over again), based on Ethiopian myth
Mulan
Aladdin
Pocahontas
Beauty and the Beast
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Snow White
Cinderella
and many others... curious how the main character/hero has an animal sidekick

Talaria

I like this thread! Rhonda you are right there were a lot of forgotton myth movies! What about Willow??? I love that movie and almost all of the Japanese horror movies written in the early 2000's were based on their superstitions. The Princess bride? where is it! Good call on the Hellboy connection. A lot of people don't know who Nuada the silverhand is. Nice comparisons!

Rhonda Tharp

I like this thread! Rhonda you are right there were a lot of forgotton myth movies! What about Willow??? I love that movie and almost all of the Japanese horror movies written in the early 2000's were based on their superstitions. The Princess bride? where is it! Good call on the Hellboy connection. A lot of people don't know who Nuada the silverhand is. Nice comparisons!
No kidding! I totally forgot about Willow and the Princess Bride, I loved those movies!!!

Have you seen "The Fall"? I highly recommend it, great metaphor and allegorical symbolism of mythic stories.

Boudica

That was a really good article. I love movies that are about mythology. My favorite one on there would have to be Clash of The Titans. I really like the old storyline better but the special effects are awesome in the new one.

Rhonda Tharp

I have never seen the fall. I will definitely check it out. I'll let ya know how it went!
Found this comparison chart.

Campbell Star Wars The Matrix
I: Departure
tile.jpg>The call to adventure tile.jpg>Princess Leia's message tile.jpg>"Follow the white rabbit"
tile.jpg>Refusal of the call tile.jpg>Must help with the harvest tile.jpg>Neo won't climb out window
tile.jpg>Supernatural aid tile.jpg>Obi-wan rescues Luke from sandpeople tile.jpg>Trinity extracts the "bug" from Neo
tile.jpg>Crossing the first threshold tile.jpg>Escaping Tatooine tile.jpg>Neo is taken out of the Matrix for the first time
tile.jpg>The belly of the whale tile.jpg>Trash compactor tile.jpg>Torture room
II: Initiation
tile.jpg>The road of trials tile.jpg>Lightsaber practice tile.jpg>Sparring with Morpheus
tile.jpg>The meeting with the goddess tile.jpg>Princess Leia (wears white, in earlier scripts was a "sister" of a mystic order) tile.jpg>The Oracle
tile.jpg>Temptation away from the true path1 tile.jpg>Luke is tempted by the Dark Side tile.jpg>Cypher (the failed messiah) is tempted by the world of comfortable illusions
tile.jpg>Atonement with the Father tile.jpg>Darth and Luke reconcile tile.jpg>Neo rescues and comes to agree (that he's The One) with his father-figure, Morpheus
tile.jpg>Apotheosis (becoming god-like) tile.jpg>Luke becomes a Jedi tile.jpg>Neo becomes The One
tile.jpg>The ultimate boon tile.jpg>Death Star destroyed tile.jpg>Humanity's salvation now within reach
III: Return
tile.jpg>Refusal of the return tile.jpg>"Luke, come on!" Luke wants to stay to avenge Obi-Wan tile.jpg>Neo fights agent instead of running
tile.jpg>The magic flight tile.jpg>Millennium Falcon tile.jpg>"Jacking in"
tile.jpg>Rescue from without tile.jpg>Han saves Luke from Darth tile.jpg>Trinity saves Neo from agents
tile.jpg>Crossing the return threshold tile.jpg>Millennium Falcon destroys pursuing TIE fighters tile.jpg>Neo fights Agent Smith
tile.jpg>Master of the two worlds tile.jpg>Victory ceremony tile.jpg>Neo's declares victory over machines in final phone call
tile.jpg>Freedom to live tile.jpg>Rebellion is victorious over Empire tile.jpg>Humans are victorious over machines
Common Mythic Elements
tile.jpg>Two Worlds (mundane and special) tile.jpg>Planetside vs. The Death Star tile.jpg>Reality vs. The Matrix
tile.jpg>The Mentor tile.jpg>Obi-Wan Kenobi tile.jpg>Morpheus
tile.jpg>The Oracle tile.jpg>Yoda tile.jpg>The Oracle
tile.jpg>The Prophecy tile.jpg>Luke will overthrow the Emperor tile.jpg>Morpheus will find (and Trinity will fall for) "The One"
tile.jpg>Failed Hero tile.jpg>Biggs tile.jpg>In an early version of the script, Morpheus once believed that Cypher was "The One"
tile.jpg>Wearing
Enemy's Skin tile.jpg>Luke and Han wear stormtrooper outfits tile.jpg>Neo jumps into agent's skin
tile.jpg>Shapeshifter (the Hero isn't sure if he can trust this character) tile.jpg>Han Solo tile.jpg>Cypher
tile.jpg>Animal familiar tile.jpg>R2-D2, Chewbacca tile.jpg>N/A
tile.jpg>Chasing a lone animal into the enchanted wood (the animal usually gets away) tile.jpg>Luke follows R2 into the Jundland Wastes; The Millennium Falcon follows a lone TIE fighter into range of the Death Star tile.jpg>Neo "follows the white rabbit" to the nightclub where he meets Trinity

Talaria

I can't find that movie anywhere! I really hate that my local video store had to close, they had everything. I bet I can find it online tho. I like this comparison chart a lot. I especially like the "chasing a lone animal" part. I never compared Star Wars to The Matrix before. There is definitely a lot of similarities there!

Travis

Great article, thanks for posting the link. I am not at all a myth geek, but I like movies. Troy is one of my favorites and I like the cool fight scenes between Achilles and Hector, no matter whether the fight really happened or not.

Bona Dea

This is an interesting article. I’d never realized just how many films were based on Ancient Mythology. It’s amazing just how much influence and importance these Ancient Myths still have in Modern Society.

Rhonda Tharp

Did you ever see Ladyhawke? It's one from the 80s, but a good storyline...