Most influential ancient culture?

Rhonda Tharp

I'd pick Egypt. Art, mathematics, engineering, etc - with Freemasons tracing their roots back to Egypt, and how that impacted Europe and the New World, I'd say the ideas the Greeks had about democracy were able to practiced thanks to Freemasons and Enlightenment figures of the 18th century.

Poolshark

That question is a little vague. Do you mean Western history? What do you mean by influential? The Sumerians and Babylonians did so much to establish agriculture, politics, math and writing that it is hard to dismiss their influence. Then there is the question of how much did Arabs preserve and and invent, introducing and reintroducing knowledge after the Dark Ages. How much does the invention of the wheel, writing, agriculture or say...cheese influence culture? I would say I am constantly surprised by the long lasting influence of many cultures and it is interesting to try to tease out the threads of our history and see how we are all deeply connected.

indianaj

It was in a broad meaning, which do you consider personally the most influential it doesn't have to be scientifically accurate. I'm well aware of other cultures contributions, like the Chinese gunpowder which changed the face of war, the Egyptians inventing paper, the Sumerians being the fist culture to have a written language and so on, but I personally still consider the Greeks as being one of the most influential cultures that shaped civilization.

DLegend

I would say that the Romans are the most influential ancient culture because they are the one who compiled all the skills and trades of other civilizations and enhanced it. Nonetheless, I think all ancient cultures contribute to the world we have right now.

Olsen

All ancient culture brought their contribution to the development of later societies, but the most influential one is probably the Greeks', followed closely by the Romans' and the Egyptians'... As far as writing is concerned, the most archaeological remains come from the Greeks.

blarneyrubble

It's really difficult to pick out the one outstanding culture from ancient times as they all brought different enhancements to civilisation as we know it. Speaking as a Brit, I would have to say the Romans being as their society directly affected us as a race.

RLynn

The Semites had an enormous impact on western culture (monotheism, mathematics, morality, etc.).

Isis

This is a difficult question. The Sumerians may have been first and they were both fascinating and important, but I have to side with the Greeks on this one.

EyeofZeus

The Greeks invented theatre, critical history and the dialectic style of philosophy. They also started the Olympics (organized sports in front of crowds) the scientific method and greatly expanded the flexibility of the Phonecian alphabet by introducing vowels. Maybe its because they are the first ancient civ that we have some of their writings in complete form that they loom so large- still when you realize 90% of their literature has vanished it makes you marvel.

I'll go for the Egyptians. I think Egyptians are greatly noted for their structures which is still seen nowadays. A perfect example is their pyramids and their mummies. As of now there is still so much to discover (tombs, pyramids, shrines, hidden temples under the sphinx) and it is truly fascinating on how they managed to build pyramids and learn the process of mummification. Next would be the Greeks, that started the so-called Olympics now. :cool:

Myrddin

I think a lot of the ancient cultures have influenced the world we live in today but, even though I hate to be one to jump on the bandwagon, I would have to say the Greeks seem to have influenced they way we live today the most. The sciences, performing arts, and organized sports have all had a large impact on us, and even their old stories seem to be the most taught in school.

magickz

I think its a tossup between the Egyptians & Greeks. Going back to being in school, even early school what is the first two things you normally hear about? Egyptians & Greek, its not like its a myth or anything but we are told about ancient stories when we are kids but then people expect us to not believe in them as adults - I don't get it. :)

Myrddin

I think its a tossup between the Egyptians & Greeks. Going back to being in school, even early school what is the first two things you normally hear about? Egyptians & Greek, its not like its a myth or anything but we are told about ancient stories when we are kids but then people expect us to not believe in them as adults - I don't get it. :)
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense. I would think that if there is something we shouldn't believe in as adults, then maybe we shouldn't have been taught that in the first place. Right?!? You shouldn't feed people things that later you are going to be saying, "Um, that's not true. Why would you believe that?"