More on vampires

Toni

Have you noticed since the popularity of the "Twilight" series and the movies, there are tons of vampire books out there? Seems like many are trying to ride the coat tails of Stephanie Meyer. I picked up a Nora Roberts the other day and it was about vampires. Enough!!!

I think we have always been entranced with "monsters" of one type or another. I remember when werewolves were the thing and now they've come up with vampires who "sparkle". I still like the older type of vampires who were horrible looking and smelled of the grave.

Perseus

Have you noticed since the popularity of the "Twilight" series and the movies, there are tons of vampire books out there? Seems like many are trying to ride the coat tails of Stephanie Meyer. I picked up a Nora Roberts the other day and it was about vampires. Enough!!!
I agree there are way too many.

Perseus

I think we have always been entranced with "monsters" of one type or another. I remember when werewolves were the thing and now they've come up with vampires who "sparkle". I still like the older type of vampires who were horrible looking and smelled of the grave.
I also like the older vampires they are a lot cooler than the twilight vampires.

greekgoddess31

I think writers write for their audience. Vampires are what people want right now so that is what they are putting out there. I read a short story the other day where the guy was a vampire and it had no impact on the story and no reason to even be there. It was totally stupid.

Nadai

Authors write about what's popular at the time. What I've noticed is that, since Twilight, there are a lot of vampire/werewolf books and shows. There's Vampire Diaries, Dead Like Me, Being Human, The Dead Until Dark tv series on HBO, and that new show on BMT that I have yet to take a look at. It's what's popular so producers and authors are just milking it. I'm sure that, had Twilight not received such hype, this whole vampire vs. werewolf sex appeal deal would never have happened.

Myrddin

I think most writers write for themselves, they write what about what appeals to them, well still incorporating popular elements to grab, or lure in, their target audience. I'm sure there's still the odd writer who only cares about popularity, and just writes what he/she thinks will grab the attention of the majority of the people.