Monsters of greek mythology

What Is Your Favourite Monster from Greek Mythology?

• Argus

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Cerberus

• Charybdis & Scylla

• Cyclopes

• Harpies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hydra

• Medusa and the Gorgons

• Minotaur

• Sirens

• Sphinx

• Total voters

Myrddin

There are so many stories from Greek myth with monsters for the heroes to do battle with, or even just to get past. I was wondering what/who everyone's favourite monster was?

TheLoreman

I'm a fan of the Minotaur. When I was at art college we were given a project to illustrate one and I had a lot of fun creating my interpretation of it. Ever since then I've found I always gravitate towards the Minotaur. I guess the human animal hybrid is particularly interesting.
What's yours?

Myrddin

After a lot of thinking, I would have to say the sirens are my favourite. Since no one ever actually meets them, their physical traits are unknown and up for debate. I like to picture them with the upper torso of a woman and the lower torso and tail of a shark (sleek and shiny with no scales and pointed edges). Yet another human/animal hybrid. I also like the way their voices are described; a beautiful but sad and lonely sound. I can just hear them singing in my mind.

Pegasus

It was a toss up between Argus and the Cyclopes, but I voted for Argus in the end, as I really enjoyed the story of how Hera hid the eyes in her bird the peacock to preserve them forever.

Nadai

I really like Cerberus. I remember in Edith Hamilton's Mythology, her story of Orpheus. Orpheus goes down to the underworld to retrieve his wife and he sings Cerberus to sleep. Cerberus dreams of his former life, before he was kidnapped by Pluto and forced to guard the gate to the underworld. He dreams about his master and his land...it's such a sad and sweet story...I just fell in love with him. Plus I've just got a soft spot for dogs;)

EyeofZeus

I like the Cyclops. He is such an uncivilized brute and yet there is this little tenderness I feel a bit sorry for. Asking the sheep where nobody is hiding for instance.
Maybe its just the vividness of the description in Homer that grabs me. Dashing out the men's brains like puppies, overcome with the flush and fuddle of the wine, he is so brilliantly drawn he seems like a real person. In fact sometimes I think I recognize a glimmer of him in certain stumbling individuals I've seen late at night. Disturbing but true to life.