Love storied of grmyth

oDipuc

Hey,

I'm looking to correspond over the next few years with some people over the love stories of greek mythology. overall wisdom is prefered but most of the content of my research is to the stories with love.

Thanks

Myrddin

Hey,

I'm looking to correspond over the next few years with some people over the love stories of greek mythology. overall wisdom is prefered but most of the content of my research is to the stories with love.

Thanks
Well, you've come to the right place. :)

The first story that pops inot my mind is the Iliad by Homer. It may not be a love story into itself, but it certainly begins with that aspect. When the shepherd, Paris, is confronted with the three naked goddesses -- Athene, goddess of wisdom and warfare; Hera, goddess of marriage and queen of the Olympians; and Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty -- the poor shepherd is blinded by Aphrodite's offer for the hand of the beautiful Helen of Sparta. Unfortunately it is the acceptance of this offer that starts the war.

Look up the story of Aphrodite and Adonis; the beautiful son of the king of Syria, Aphrodite was so seduced by him, that she followed him everywhere (to the point that she was no longer seen in heaven). Adonis was considered the love of her life, and when, despite the goddesses warnings, he was killed by a wild boar, Aphrodite became inconsolable. (Found in Gods and Goddesses: A Treasury of Deities and Tales from World Mythology edited by Elizabeth Hallam.)

I will try to be sure to post more stories as I gather them. Good luck with your research!

E. M.

thundergoddess

I like Hades and Persephone a lot like a love story. Or perhaps it's just my imagination that makes it so beautiful. I have read a lot of stories people wrote and I have observed a lot of people are caught up by that story and they really like it, they see something romantic about it.
Iliad has a love story aspect, yeah, but for me it's like what love shouldn't be like, what is not allowed in love. It's not allowed to be with someone even if you love them when you realize you cause a war and many people will die in this war and perhaps with them, many people in love will die and a lot more couples will suffer. I am not quite sure what Helen and Paris had is love, it's more like sexual attraction, because as far as I remember after the death of Paris Helen marries another Trojan prince and after the war she willingly returns to Menelaus, her first husband. I think in Odyssey or in some tragedy I have read she says she is very sorry for what she had done and she understands how dumb it was. She is the one of the worst characters in literature I've ever seen I mean she is everything (morally speaking) a woman shouldn't be. She really has the sexual appetite of her father Zeus who is famous with a lot of stories about that and they don't sound pretty cool for him but it's worse with Helen, because - first of all - she is not a goddess, and second of all - when she lived women were valued for their beauty and their chasity&virtue and she is really lacking the last two.

Myrddin

I would like to point out that neither Helen nor Paris started the Trojan War, not really. The Greek's started the war. Even from their point of view, it is told in such a way that portrays them as the bad guys. It was their lack of respect for women that began the war; they clearly could not accept women's power of choice. After all, it was Helen's choice to go with Paris.

E. M.