Local ghost stories

Benst

This is an area that I havn't really looked into too deeply, although I know a load from my own area back home and in Canada here. I'm curious if any of you have local ghost stories from your locale you'd like to share?

Myrddin

Well, I know of two near by. Both in the same area; the Eldon House ghost and one of Ambrose Small, an owner of several theatres in the province of Ontario. I think there is also one about the Labatt Brewery, but I don't remember any details.

E. M.

Benst

Ahhh yes I've heard a few about Eldon House, I'm from Southern Ontario too! I know up in our area we have some stories about a Lake Huron monster, a giant serpent seen lurking in the depths. There's also one from Flesherton about a 'witch' who lived on a hill, when she died if you go to her grave (which is pretty secluded) and place a quarter on her gravestone by morning it will have disappeared. Where I am from in North Wales, we used to live close to an old Roman road, and there was a local legend that at 12noon and 12 midnight, if you happened to be on the road, you could hear the footsteps of the marching legions heading up to Anglesey to kill the Druids.

Myrddin

I have not heard of the Lake Huron Monster. Or the Flesherton 'Witch'.

I only know one about Eldon House. About a soldier who was invited to a ball there. He attended, but in spirit. Ambrose Small supposedly haunts the Grand Theatre in London, Ontario. These are just two of the few I know.

E. M.