Jewish Demons

Honi

Graybeard
Jewish Demons

The thread below on Lilith put me in mind of Jewish demonology generally. By some accounts demons are the offspring of Lilith. Others have it that they were created after humans on the sixth day of creation. However, the sixth day came to an end before God could create their bodies. Therefore they remain incorporeal. Nonetheless demons are phenomenal beings. They age, die, eat, and reproduce. Some female demons are succubi who steal the seed of men in their sleep. There is even a rabbinic ruling that a man visited by a succubus is not guilty of adultery. One story tells that Noah took demons on the ark so that they wouldn't perish in the flood.

There are many stories and superstitions about demons. I may post some of them later if y'all are interested.

Honi

Graybeard
I think that is just Christian mythology. Although it could be something that came up in the post-biblical period that was incorporated into Christianity but not Rabbinic Judaism.

Rascaduanok

any% Speedrunner
Demonology;

Hi there. I realise you last posted in this thread in November of last year, but this area of discussion would definitely interest me, so I’d certainly appreciate stories/superstitions of Jewish demons if you’d care to share!

Sekhmet

Jewish Demons

According to some interpretations of the old testament, the sons of god(Angels) desired after the daughters of man (women). This prompted them to transform into human form and have relations with the earthly women. In turn their offspring were mighty giants- the nephilim. Supposedly the flood should have abolished these creatures. However that is not the last time we hear about these creatures. This part of the story tells us much about the characteristics and the ability of Angels. For starters they had free will and the ability to transform their bodies into flesh. Although they are often depicted as androgynous creatures they obviously had some feelings of masculine or femine qualities to them. Or some kind of desire to possess the former or latter of these feelings. This behavior outlived the flood because we come in contact with an offspring of this union later when David faces Goliath. It's interesting that Honi mentions that Noah brought demons with him on the Ark because according to this story and it's meaning that would've totally defeated the purpose of the flood. However he might have done so unknowingly. The same way Satan takes possesssion of the body of a serpent can also indicate that these naughty angels took refuge in the bodies of the animals on the ark to escape the flood andalso escape being forever separated from heaven and fleshly gratification. (As in the New testament we see Jesus expel demons out of a man and drive them into a herd of pigs.) In terms of God allowing these demon possessed animals on board, we see God allowing things to take place as a way to fulfill some unforeseen future event. I don't think there are any bible stories that show God putting a stop to these angel possessions. So I would assume they are still capable of this. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

Guardia

Actually, i thought Angels were some really (literally) angelic creatures.
Well, by angelic, i certainly meant kind-hearted and stuff....
But then again, Sekhmet, you're referring to which religion? From what i know, Cathlotics do not believe that Angels are sons of God, since they identify Jesus as the one true Son of God who was made man, yes?