Is nessie a squid?

Arachne

The Loch Ness Monster is usually thought to be a plesiosaurus, but I have read another theory - perhaps it is a species of huge squid? Apparently some squids have an appendage that looks a lot like a head on a top of a long neck.

Myrddin

Nessie a squid. Hmm? Interesting theory, but that doesn't really account for the number of sightings that claim she has a series of humps over her back. Unless they come from her tentacles coiling and uncoiling...

Arachne

The humps in this and similar creatures really confuse me. They don't sound like something I'd expect from a plesiosaurus too. But this thing apparently has flippers so I can't imagine its some sort of giant snake.

I think it was in a book by Karl Shuker that I read about the squid theory, if anyone wants a source. I'm sorry I can't offer anything more precise.

Myrddin

It could maybe be a large eel. They don't have flippers, but they do have fins which could maybe be mistaken for flippers. I know some eels have fins which enable them to crawl overland, like the anguilla.

You don't by any chance remember the title of Shuker's book, do you? I am definitely interested,

mythlvr

My readings and from the pictures I have seen it is a throwback from the dinosaurs or more modern eel, maybe even related to the mantis.