Human sacrifice

Olsen

Do you know any accounts of human sacrifice in Norse mythology? I read online that there are several historians who wrote about this issue (Ahmad ibn Fadlan, Tacitus, Saxo Grammaticus and Adam von Bremen). There is one story about a slave-girl who had volunteered to accompany her lord to the next world by being sacrificed.

LegendofJoe

I just read an account of a sacrifice done by Starkad (Starcatherus), in Saxo Grammaticus.
Much of what Saxo says can also be taken as a supplement to Norse myths, even though
he is usually overlooked in favor of the more familiar Eddas.
Starkad was born from a giant and had extra arms.
These arms were ripped off by Thor in order to make him appear more human.
While under a king's protection, he treacherously sacrifices him to Odin.

I need to read this book, once ive finished this book called 'Myths of the Pagan North.' All i know about human sacrifice in Norse mythology, is that some odinists would sacrifice themselves, like Odin himself did, and the impression i get is that when the vikings went and killed, they were almost sacrificing the dead to the gods. I may be totally wrong here, just my impression. I know its no direct link, but still, its something =)

magickz

I know very little about it actually but it is an interesting subject. Norse in general for me, my only issue is that I have so many interests and not enough time for them all.

I know very little about it actually but it is an interesting subject. Norse in general for me, my only issue is that I have so many interests and not enough time for them all.
I know the feeling too well =( But eventually, you get to learn all of these things

Lyfing

We sacrificed folks for several reasons. When we went to war we hurled a spear at the enemy and dedicated them to Odin. When it was over we hung the rest to him and took all of war-booty and mangled it useless and gave it to him as well. The Heruli when approaching old age would have someone stab them so as to assure them a place in Valhalla. The story of Starkad is best related in Gautrek's Saga. It goes something like Grannihorsehair ( who was really Odin ) got Starkad up in the middle of the night and took him to meet the Aesir..Odin gave him blessings as Thor gave him curses..Odin took him back and wanted a sacrifice for his blessings..lot's were drawn and King Vikar's name it was..they staged a mock sacrifice but as Starkad thrust the spear (it was a reed-stalk I think) and said "I give thee to Odin" it all became real and it was done..