How much do you believe?

greekgoddess31

I am a believer in anything supernatural. Ghosts, demons, angels, vampires, werewolves. I believe in it all. How much supernatural stuff do you believe in?

RLynn

I don't think supernatural beings are objectively real. I.e., they don't exist in the same way as trees, rocks, birds, people, etc. However, the fantastic creatures to which you refer have had a thematic existence in folklore for a long, long time. As such, they have metaphorical significance. For example, the best werewolf story I've ever read is Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf. It is autobiographical. Hesse himself is the werewolf, and the novel is an allegory of his psychological struggle to transcend the human-wolf dichotomy and become whole. The idea is not to kill the wolf, but to incorporate both human and wolf into a unified personality.

I've known for a long time that I am a werewolf. It worried the hell out of me until I learned that everyone has a shadow side, whether or not they are consciously aware of it. There is a severe psychological conflict if we try to kill the inner wolf. It is immortal and invulnerable even to silver bullets. :)

I don't think supernatural beings are objectively real. I.e., they don't exist in the same way as trees, rocks, birds, people, etc. However, the fantastic creatures to which you refer have had a thematic existence in folklore for a long, long time. As such, they have metaphorical significance. For example, the best werewolf story I've ever read is Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf. It is autobiographical. Hesse himself is the werewolf, and the novel is an allegory of his psychological struggle to transcend the human-wolf dichotomy and become whole. The idea is not to kill the wolf, but to incorporate both human and wolf into a unified personality.

I've known for a long time that I am a werewolf. It worried the hell out of me until I learned that everyone has a shadow side, whether or not they are consciously aware of it. There is a severe psychological conflict if we try to kill the inner wolf. It is immortal and invulnerable even to silver bullets. :)
I've just read this and it quite fascinated me. Can you share further about what you meant about being a werewolf? Its interesting to hear ^_^

RLynn

I've just read this and it quite fascinated me. Can you share further about what you meant about being a werewolf? Its interesting to hear ^_^
Thanks for the interest, but my inner wolf is not too keen on my going into details. Sorry.

Toni

I do believe that we all have a dark side and it is our choice to call it what we will. I choose to surround myself with good thoughts, people, literature, light and good spirits to keep my dark side in check. To me dark is evil and I would rather be a happy person giving off good light.

RLynn

According to Jung, the important thing is to be conscious of the dark side as part of the psyche, then it can't control your behavior. However, if you are unaware of the wolf, then it can sneak up on you and cause some serious damage. St. Anthony isolated himself in order to become more holy, and the dark side gave him a terrible time. Gustave Flaubert's The Temptation of Saint Anthony describes one horrible night in the life of the Saint.

Myrddin

I like the idea of calling it the inner wolf. Which is essentially what the werewolf pertains to.

Nora_Rose

This is a very intriguing conversation. I wonder if my local library has either of those books. I do believe in ghosts or supernatural things. I have seen way too many crazy things not to. I think if there were vampires, they wouldn't be like what we see on television. It would be more of an energy stealing vampire.

TheLoreman

I am a believer in anything supernatural. Ghosts, demons, angels, vampires, werewolves. I believe in it all. How much supernatural stuff do you believe in?
Not a believer myself, but I feel the world is a better and far more interesting place because many people do believe.

RLynn

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein