How did christianity kill the roman religion?

Nadai

Sorry I wasn't clear...that was meant to be my attempt at subtle sarcasm;)
I suppose this thread is getting dangerously off topic, but I should like to respond to your final paragraph. You have created a semantical issue regarding the term Chriatian. All Catholics consider themselves Christian, as do adherents of the Greek Orthodox, Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, Nondenominational, and many other persuations. Yet you wish to restrict the term Christian to those who adhere to a particular version of Pauline theology. Were there no true Christians before Saul of Tarsus had his famous epileptic fit on the road to Damascus and thereafter formulated his theology and enlightened the world on the 'true' meaning of the Christ-event? I should think that the concept of salvation by grace through faith (i.e., Christianity) would not be so exclusive. But what do I know?
Obviously I also wasn't clear when I said that my comment was my own personal opinion.
Regardless of whether or not Catholics consider themselves Christian means very little to me. In my opinion, as a Christian, Catholics are Catholics, in my opinion.
In regards to Saul's epileptic fit...I'm pretty sure the Christians who had previously been persecuted and imprisoned by him considered it to be a blessing and a miracle.
Also, in my opinion, Christianity isn't exclusive. Like any religion it has guidlines set in place for those who choose to follow that faith. If someone decides not to follow those guidlines...well no one is holding a gun to their heads saying they have to so they can either follow it or not, but if they decide not to follow those guidlines (the Bible) then they can't really call themselves followers of that religion now can they?
That's really all I have to say about it unless I just copy and paste all my previous comments;)

LegendofJoe

:oops:
Such a thorny topic.:rolleyes:
I think any religion centered around Jesus is a form of Christianity.
But i guess it depends on your definition of what makes a Christian.

RLynn

......Believers are accepted by Christ, solely on the merit of His righteousness and blood-sacrifice, not because of any past good or bad deeds........
James 2:24. "Ye see then that by works a man is justified, not by faith only." :D

Nadai

James 2:24. "Ye see then that by works a man is justified, not by faith only." :D
I think you may be taking this verse out of context, it's easy to do. God is talking about once a man is saved. They can't just get saved and have faith in God to trust that He will keep them saved, they have to "work" to maintain their salvation-read the Bible, go to church, lead a holy life before others, etc.
By my comment I was talking about anyone who would wish to be saved. God says He came back for the lost sheep, meaning that He offers salvation to anyone who wants it; everyone has the opportunity to be saved and go to Heaven no matter their past deeds but, as I said, once they're saved they actually have to live a saved life.

RLynn

You are changing the plain sense of the verse. It is speaking of justification, not sanctification. The verse specifically states that faith alone is not sufficient for justification. However, since you say that one has to work at being holy following justification or else one will become unjustified, there's scarcely much difference.

Nadai

...ugh...seriously...we are just going in circles. However you interprit the Bible is between you and whatever god you believe in. I really have nothing else to say on the matter.

LegendofJoe

THORNY, THORNY, THORNYYYYY!!!
Like I mentioned before.:D
I try to perform good works, but since I'm a nonbeliever, it's straight to the sulphuric, fire pit of Hell for me!

RLynn

You'll be in good company, along with Einstein, Plato, Socrates, Homer, St. Francis of Assisi, Leonardo da Vinci, Gallileo, Mother Teresa, etc. The list is endless. I'll be there too, for what it's worth.