How could gods of different cultures exist side by side - a debate

Caelus

I've been wondering on and off, naturally a purely theoretical debate, if all the gods of all the mythologies and religions existed at the same time, in the same reality and universe, on the same planet, how do you think that could work? Postulate away.

Myrddin

My theory is that, since a lot of gods and goddesses draw parallels with those from other myths, is that a lot of them are one and the same, just with many diffrent names. Like Jupiter/Zeus, in Classical, to Odin in Norse, to Kukulkan of the Mayan, etc. They are all head gods, and all depicted the same way wiht the long white hairs and beard and same basic powers. I think of them as one and the same, and only different from culture to culture.

Caelus

Ah nope, can't do that. You can't blend them. For this debate they have to be different entities. Thought given form by prayer if you will, though perhaps that complications the discussion.

Myrddin

Ah! Well, with that rule in place, I think they could cope with each other, so long as they kept to their given realm. (Though I'm not entirely sure I'd trust the Greek gods/goddesses to restrain themselves. They seem to be a little full of themselves at times.)

Isis

(Though I'm not entirely I'd trust the Greek gods/goddesses to restrain themselves. They seem to be a little full of themselves at times.)
LOL that is so true! I think you'd see a lot of infighting between gods of many different cultures, actually. They would see each other as competition.

Myrddin

LOL that is so true! I think you'd see a lot of infighting between gods of many different cultures, actually. They would see each other as competition.
True, but I think as long as they stuck to their respective realms, they'd be... fine. They don't have to like each other, just as long as they stay out of each others' way.

Myrddin

Well, yeah. That's what I mean. Greek gods in Greece; Norse gods in Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Finland; Celtic gods in the British Isles; Egyptian gods in Egypt, etc.

Olsen

That is an interesting idea. Separating them geographically would work for some gods, but what about the gods of the sea? I wonder how Poseidon, Lir, Neptune and all the other gods of water would divide their aquatic territories. Also, I think the gods of war would just fight each other until they destroyed the planet...

Myrddin

Well, Poseidon/Neptune would stay to the Meditteranean, Lir to the Irish Sea, Yamm to the Red Sea, etc. Of course there would be some seas that would make up common territory, but hey, that's for them to figure out, not me. And of course how it would work with the oceans... Hmm...

greekgoddess31

Here is a thought to throw a wrench in this debate - maybe none of them existed other than in the minds of their believers. That would explain why they could "exist" at the same time and place.

magickz

Why not? If we all exist now, wholly and together while separate at the same time. Why could they not do the very same? I like the idea of greekgoddess31 too.

greekgoddess31

Caelus maybe I was a little but to be honest in 1000 years or so (if Earth is still around) people will be asking the same questions about God, Allah and every other diety people worship today.

Olsen

How come? Christianity has been around for 2000 years and it doesn't seem to be fading away; Islam for almost 1500 years. What makes you think that in another 1000 years religions will change? Technological evolution doesn't seem to contribute to the changing of religions. Even if we discover life on other planets, current religions are willing to incorporate it. I've heard that the Pope accepted the possibility of us not being alone in the universe.

Nadai

I remember hearing a strory-I have no clue where-that the differnt pantheons lived in different heavens. They don't watch over all of humanity, but rather the humans that they created. When those humans died, they would go to various heavens or hells, depending on how they lived and who their gods were.
I also remember hearing a joke. I can't remember the whole thing, but a man was praying for something-probably women or money-and finally his prayers were answered. The man began to thank God. Budah was sitting across from Him(God). God began to correct the man, but Buddah raised his hand and said, "It's okay. I'll let you have this one".
In Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter Series she also makes a seperation between pantheons. Atlantean gods live in their own heaven, Greek gods live on Olympus, and God lives in heaven.
If there were several gods I'd say that's how it would work.

Nadai

How come? Christianity has been around for 2000 years and it doesn't seem to be fading away; Islam for almost 1500 years. What makes you think that in another 1000 years religions will change? Technological evolution doesn't seem to contribute to the changing of religions. Even if we discover life on other planets, current religions are willing to incorporate it. I've heard that the Pope accepted the possibility of us not being alone in the universe.
No offense to any Catholics, but Catholocism accepts a lot of things. There are some things that some reilgions just won't accept and i think aliens would be a huge debate in the Christian world if ever they were discovered. I know some pastors who still refuse to believe that humans weren't alive in the time of dinasours just because the Bible states that man was made first and had dominion over all the creatures of the world. I've read the Bible a few times and from what I remember it has never once mentioned aliens; I can only imagine the uproar that discovery would create. Though there are some who believe that angels and aliens are one in the same, but that's another debate for another time:cool: