Horror movies based on real events/people

greekgoddess31

Wow, who knew there were so many horror films based on true events. They didn't include Haunting in Connecticut either which is said to be based on actual events. It makes them even scarier to think that this actually happened.

Myrddin

Wow, who knew there were so many horror films based on true events. They didn't include Haunting in Connecticut either which is said to be based on actual events. It makes them even scarier to think that this actually happened.
And the number of times Ed Gein was used as a souce for inspiration. Creepy! He was even the inspiration for Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. That's three!

Nadai

I had no idea Wolf Creek were true stories, but the exorcism movies all have the "this film is based on true events". I saw saw only the beginning of Texas Chainsaw Massacre when the person I was watching with told me that it was a true story; I decided against getting into it.

Nadai

And the number of times Ed Gein was used as a souce for inspiration. Creepy! He was even the inspiration for Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. That's three!
The characters of Norman Bates in Psycho and Leatherface in Texas Chainsaw Massacre were based on Ed Gein and the artifacts found by police in his home... and of course, and of course, Buffalo Bill.

serenity

If I am not mistaken the movie The Haunting was based on a true story. I went to college in Northeast Pennsylvania, and a home in the town I went to school in was supposedly the inspiration for the movie.

Don't forget that "based on a true story/event" can mean many things. Never a good idea to trust that the events actually happened, even if it seems realistic. Remember what happened when they claimed Amityville Horror was completely true?

Nadai

Don't forget that "based on a true story/event" can mean many things. Never a good idea to trust that the events actually happened, even if it seems realistic. Remember what happened when they claimed Amityville Horror was completely true?
It's not!? What parts were fake?

It's not!? What parts were fake?
The DeFeo story is true. The man really did murder his parents and siblings in the 1970s. The story of the events that happened to the Lutz family is untrue. The Lutz family and DeFeo's lawyer created the story and Anson wrote a book. DeFeo's lawyer thought that he could get his client another trial if he could convince people his client had been possessed. The Lutz family probably just wanted the fame and money for their story. Anson wrote a book, got his name out there. Snopes has a pretty good description and there is a list of evidence as well.

Nadai

The DeFeo story is true. The man really did murder his parents and siblings in the 1970s. The story of the events that happened to the Lutz family is untrue. The Lutz family and DeFeo's lawyer created the story and Anson wrote a book. DeFeo's lawyer thought that he could get his client another trial if he could convince people his client had been possessed. The Lutz family probably just wanted the fame and money for their story. Anson wrote a book, got his name out there. Snopes has a pretty good description and there is a list of evidence as well.

Aww man. I'm NEVER trusting Hollywood AGAIN!!!:eek: