Hope to help, mission statement

Hello there! I'm very excited to be a part of this forum and have been looking for something like it pretty much since the dawn of the internet. A few quick things about me that might be useful to know:
I'm 27, living in Georgia; I have a Master's degree in English and a Master's in Education. I'm a big literature guy and a history buff with a special interest in Myth, Legend, and Prehistory. I teach British Literature at a school here but I still lean towards "arty" things.

I also have, right behind me, a giant friggin' bookshelf or three dedicated to these ends, with as many primary sources as possible. I am eager to fully utilize it for answering questions put forward by the members of this forum. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to nerd out on a subject I'm so fond of. Ask the old world American.

I also have this thing where I capitalize in German, even though I'm writing in English.
How's this then?
I promise I wont say a WORD about writing mechanics or grammar if you wont make fun of mine. Deal?

Talaria

Its nice to know someone else is a bibliophile. I can't even fit anymore books in my 3 book shelves! I am not fond of Kindle in any way. You sound like you've made a name for yourself already at such a young age! yipee to the nerds of our generation!

It IS nice to know someone else is a bibliophile, isn't it?
Kindle might be okay if I could use it just as a device and not as a slave to Amazon.com; I'm pretty sure someone has either hacked it or released an unlocked version but I haven't looked into it. As helpful as it could be, no way a Kindle could outright replace a book for me though. Part of a book's charm is the physicality of the thing, the places it could have been, its wear and tear, scent, marginal notes from previous owners, and so on . This is why I try to buy used as often as possible and will sometimes treat myself to something in Quinn's Antique Book & Militaria, in Ellijay, Ga. My folks live up there (I'm in south Georgia) so when I go visit them I always make a trip. They also make great gifts, the books anyway not my folks. For a good friend of mine I bought a volume containing three shorter books on Andrew Jackson that were printed in the 1890's.
Nerds of our generation unite! I'm a with you on that one, Miss winged sandals.

Talaria

I whole heartedly agree. I also buy used books and I love to get them at local antique shops. Sometimes people have no idea what they are giving away. I found a full volume set of Edgar Alan Poe books from the early 1900's for 30$. They are leather bound! Everything you described about why you love books is how I feel plus I am constantly re-reading them. Quinn's sounds like a great place! Andrew Jackson was definitely one interesting guy. Do you read up on a lot of military history or do you like American History in general? There are a lot of old shops around here. I live in Woodstock( where Groundhog day was filmed) and grew up in Elgin, IL, which is an old old railroad town. I also like giving books as gifts, to me it seems so personal. I almost moved to Georgia a few years ago, though I have never traveled there. From the pictures I have seen and from what I have heard it looks and sounds beautiful. I see that you have discovered the origin of my "name". Friends were refering to me as hermes because I have so much energy that I seem to take flight lol. So I told them I am not a boy call me something else. This is what they came up with.

Groundhog day is awesome, still one of my favorites, "I'm a god, it's the only explanation". The Savannah parts of Forrest Gump were filmed not to far from where I lived when I was growing up in that strange coastal berg. They had to take the bench he sat on out of the park because people kept breaking shards of it off for their collection.
American history is actually one of my weak areas, but international military history is something I can easily follow. I'm jealous of your availability of olde shoppes! Right now I'm in a college town with little to do, certainly not anything like what we are describing. However, if you don't mind terrible heat and humidity in the summer, Georgia does have some really gorgeous spots although I have been taken to calling the state "King George's Jungle" recently. I miss the snow and having more than two seasons (summer and nuclear holocaust are all that's available around here). Maybe we can arrange to swap places if you still want to move down here.
Oh, and awesome find on the Poe volumes! What a deal! The problem with Mr. Quinn is that he knows the value of his books all too well and mostly wont let things go for cheap. He's got a few first editions of Schiller's poems and its tag, under the glass mind you, just says "inquire about price". Ha! Too cool.

Parting shot, is your avatar holding a mandrake root? Uh oh.

Talaria

Forrest Gump is one of the best movies ever filmed. When I was younger I LOVED watching it because of the scenery. I prefer hot weather, I deal with humidity. I stay 10x more active in hot weather because I despise snow. When the snow comes I stock up my wine and books and don't go out as much. Snow is the devil. So yea we could do a life swap for 3 months out of the year. I like how you refered to the weather as "Nuclear Holocaust" that cracks me up.
I am not too familiar with military history. I did read a lot about the Nazi tactics and The Viet Cong. They interested me because their methods are just so bizarre and just unforgiving. I like to learn the whys and hows. I also like weapons (I know its a bit strange for a girl to be into weapons and such) Archery is my favorite and I don't mean those fancy schmancy bows you can buy at Gander Mountain, I like real bows...that use your own personal strength and skill to shoot. I have a custom handmade longbow that was given to me as a gift. Samurai swords come second.
The Antique shop that I found the Poe books at really do know their stuff too. Thats why I was shocked when I saw the price was so low. They have an original Alice in Wonderland first edition print for 2,000. I remember looking at it and thinking, wow. You should ask Mr. Quinn how much he would sell the Schiller poems for. It would be interesting to know.
Yes she is holding a Mandrake root. "The roses in thy lips and cheeks shall fade to paly ashes, Thy eyes' windows fall Like death when he shuts up the day of life" I have a soft spot for Mandrakes and what they represent. The flowers on the plant are breathtaking. I'm sure you know that in folklore Mandrakes wanted so badly to be human and even look like a person in certain ways. They are deadly if eaten (or heard) and cause horrible hallucinations. If taken in tiny doses they can be used as a sedative which makes a person go into a dreamy and almost catatonic state. Juliet used it to fake her death. I like the Mandrake because it reminds me to not be fooled by the surface, things that look beautiful and harmless may not always have that intention.....by the way I have been studying Botany on my own for many many years.
I am actually stumped on your avatar. I thought originally it was Mercury (winged helmet) but since I know you are into Norse mythology I am going to assume it is pertaining to that. I am actually surprised that i don't recognize it since I am an art major. Who are they?

You're a saint for asking me about my avatar. The scene my avatar comes from is part of an operatic cycle called Der Ring Das Nibelungen, written in the late 19th century by German composer Richard Wagner. This magnum opus is my favorite fiction in all the world over; and its production was the result of Wagner's lifework, writing the music, the libretto, the choreography, the sets. He was the prime artist in anything having to do with his production. There are four operas in the cycle: The Rhinegold, The Valkyrie, Siegfried, and The Twilight of The Gods. The main characters are those of Norse mythology, Odin (Wotan), Frigg (Fricka), Thor (Donner) among others, as well as humans, giants, and impish creatures known as the Nibelungs.

Because she dared defy Odin in the name of love, Brunhilde, the Valkyrie of the second opera's namesake and favorite daughter of Odin, must be punished by the laws that at once bind and empower him. Thus, Brunhilde must lose her godhead and become a mortal woman, doomed to wed the first man that comes along. Brunhilde faces her consequences with courage, and asks only that the man who comes to wed her will be as brave. Odin again remembers why she's his favorite; to satisfy both the law and her wish he calls upon Loge (Loki) to encircle the rock upon which she will sleep until a man, brave enough to step through the firestorm, will come for her. This particular piece of art depicts Odin kissing Brunhilde's forehead, lulling her away. Here's the whole thing:

It's sad though, as much as I like it I still don't know who painted this, or if it's even a painting. I'm downright ignorant of the conventions of visual art. Anyhoo, that's as brief of an explanation as I can write. Wagner is known to be......long winded :-J

Speaking of weapons, Archery master (if I run I only die tired), I've made a functional reproduction of the spear shown here. I'll post some pictures later if you want. Also, do not let anyone tell you that studying panzer tactics are bad. I wrote one of my favorite papers on the Schlieffen plan for my war literature class in undergrad.
To take up Botany in one's own intuitive course of study is seriously impressive, by the way. I got a simple book on identifying trees and I still feel like an idiot trying to remember the details. Would you say that your affinity comes from your possible green thumb?
Please share your art knowledge at any juncture; I would love to learn.
...AND you quote Shakespeare? Are all people to the north like you?

Talaria

I can't believe I have never heard of Richard wagner. I will definitely read up on this (seriously I will, I read the entire Emerald Tablets) Is the literature still in print? This story is right up my ally for sure and I like Odin. The only thing that creeps me out about him is Huginn and muninn. I will have to tell you about my slight fear of birds sometime ESPECIALLY owls. I really like this picture, I will try to find the artist.
OH MAN, if you have a funtional spear that YOU made I would defintely want to see that. You just moved up a few pegs there. The funny thing is...I know the name of his spear. It is Gungnir. I know this because the Celtic god Lugh also had a spear and I remember doing research and comparing them. They both have a 100% killing ratio and no matter where you run if you are the target, that spear is hitting you. Some people say its also the spear of destiny.
I like how you picked up on how I was slightly ashamed of reading about the Nazi's and Viet Cong. I don't think what they did was right in any circumstances ( except I give a slight advantage to the Cong since they were pretty much in survival mode against the people attacking them) but in order to understand any war you have to educate yourself from both point of views. A strategist even. Perhaps you can share your paper sometime.(p.s. are you refering to me as a sniper?;))
Botany for some reason just comes naturally to me. I do like to garden and I really like nature. I also like to learn about survival...without nature of course there would be no survival. I also practice holistic and natural healing. I can make herbal teas, poultices, infusions ect. I prefer them over the chemical cocktails that are so easily prescribed these days. It can be difficult to self medicate when you have no idea what is poisonous and/or chemically balanced with your body, so I took it upon myself to learn. It would be nice to have a teacher, since even though I try, I am in no way a master. If you want to learn you have to read AND physically study the plant. Smell, taste and texture is important. ( I wouldn't recommend tasting haha)
Oh art....I love art. I pursued art for a long time. I went to the Academy of Art in Chicago but dropped out. I mean the artistic world is HIGHLY competitive...plus I am not superficial. There are a lot of marketing and design people(aka corporate) in the fine art world who i just don't mesh with well and would pretty much, if I had the chance, tell them to piss off really, sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are, if you don't put on a fake smile and do what they want ur screwed, I guess I was kind of a rebel, I did what I wanted. I don't like fake social gatherings. On a happier note my favorite artists are Edvard Munch, Vincet Van Gogh, Salvador Dali, Theodore Gericault, Edgar degas and Monet. I lean towards the more obscure artists because I like their personal stories. What would you like to know? I feel that any craft is art really.
I love Shakespeare. That man had a real way with words. I am glad you got the quote! I only posted it because I knew you would. I wish more people were better conversationalists in this town. I am not gonna lie I get super bored talking about the same things over and over. I may not be in school but I am constantly re-educating myself so I always have weird stuff to talk about. Are all people as interesting as you down South?
What else do you do besides teach and talk about super interesting things? Are you into sports or music? were you always intersted in teaching? I would have liked to have been an Archeologist. What kinds of food do you like?