Holiday traditions

greekgoddess31

With the advent of the holiday season upon us I thought I would ask what is your favorite holiday tradition? I love picking out our tree and putting it up with all the trimmings.

Nadai

My dad has a train set that his grandma gave him when he was very small (around 8). Every year since then he's had that train under his Christmas tree. My son loves trains, we live right next to the tracks (about a two minute walk) and my son's favorite thing to do is stand outside when he hears the train and count the cars. Evenmoreso he loves to help his grandpa set up that ancient train set. I'm hoping it hold out for a few more years; I don't think it would be Christmas without that thing!
For me though, my favorite parts about Christmas are the eggnog, the Christmas movies (Elf and Charlie Brown!), and seeing the kids open their Christmas presents. We try to not make it about getting gifts and stress more the importance of family and giving, but seeing my kids and nieces open up their presents then watching them play with them for hours is priceless to me...of course they eventually forgets about them, but it's still sweet.

magickz

We do not have nearly as many as most people do, traditional that is. We keep with bits and pieces of it but nothing major. Our kids know about Santa but they also know that Mom & Dad help with his delivers, etc.

RLynn

Without meaning to rain on the parade, I think that making too big a deal out of holidays can result in a very unpleasant dreary feeling after the celebration is over, somewhat akin to dreading to go back to the daily grind after a vacation. Neither holidays nor vacations are without their negative consequences.

Without meaning to rain on the parade, I think that making too big a deal out of holidays can result in a very unpleasant dreary feeling after the celebration is over, somewhat akin to dreading to go back to the daily grind after a vacation. Neither holidays nor vacations are without their negative consequences.
I feel exactly the same way. There is so much time spent with family and friends, giving presents, decorating the house, cooking, and seeing heart warming moments on television and in movies that when it all stops life can be dreary. Of course that doesn't mean I don't celebrate, but I also try to remember that I'm going to have to come back to reality.

That being said, my favorite part of the holidays is just being around family, well the family that I like at least.

Enertia

My favorite part, of the holiday season, are all the lights. It is nice, to see all the yard decorations, lighting the night time drives.

RLynn

My favorite part, of the holiday season, are all the lights. It is nice, to see all the yard decorations, lighting the night time drives.
The outdoor decorations are fun to see, but they tend to remind me of Snoopy's doghouse in A Charlie Brown Christmas and the Griswold's house in Christmas Vacation. Also, it makes the power company happy.

Myrddin

I guess it's a good thing I'm not too close to the one side of my family, then. I always tend to look forward to holidays before hand, but once they start, I start to look forward to them ending again. I know, I'm weird.

Myrddin

The outdoor decorations are fun to see, but they tend to remind me of ... the Griswold's house in Christmas Vacation. Also, it makes the power company happy.
You mean, you find them blinding?;)
"And why is the carpet all wet, Todd?" "I don't know, Margo."

Myrddin

Todd and Margo are priceless, the kind of people one loves to make fun of! :D
Yes, it's a definite.
"Hey, Griswald, where are you planning to put a tree that big?" -- "Bend over and I'll show you." -- "You have a lot of nerve talking to me like that, Griswald." -- "I wasn't talking to you."