Holiday song histories & meanings

With the holidays right around the corner I am hearing holiday music everywhere I go. What are some of the histories or meanings behind some of the well-known holiday songs and carols?

The Twelve Days Of Christmas was a song that secretly taught a lot of Catholics the catechism. There are supposed to be meanings to all of the verses. I can't thin of where I read that but if I find it again, I'll post it.

jerri

I think it's funny that there's always articles around this time of year that will tell you exactly how much it would cost to purchase everything mentioned in that song. This year's total, according to Chris Morran of The Consumerist, is $101,119.84.

The Twelve Days Of Christmas was a song that secretly taught a lot of Catholics the catechism. There are supposed to be meanings to all of the verses. I can't thin of where I read that but if I find it again, I'll post it.
That was actually one of the things that inspired me to make this thread. But I looked it up on Snopes and it looks like that was just a myth. I suppose it could just be coincidence that it matches up? I will have to read the article again to refresh my mind.