Hoarders

Does anybody else here watch Hoarders? Some of these people have terrible situations going on and many of them need a lot of help. One man that I'm watching now is not even able to sleep in his house - he sleeps on the streets. There is too much stuff in his apartment.

serenity

I do watch Hoarders, and it makes me look around my slightly disorganized house with a smile. Compared to these people, my house looks as if it should be in Organized Home magazine. :)

Isabelle

I watch Hoarders and sometimes it scares me about what could be about my own house. For the most part my house is just disorganized, but that show is usually enough to get me to do some serious cleaning. :)

I watch that show too! It's interesting the problems that some people have with letting go of "stuff". My daughter in law is actually the exact opposite of a Hoarder. She gets rid of stuff I would never consider, but her house is clean-and spartan.

Nadai

I don't watch Hoarders or any other reality show, but I have seen the previews for it. I think it's very sad that there are people who live that way.
I am a very organized person; my sister says I'm a bit obsessive compulsive, I disagree. I don't like to hold on to things that I don't need and things that I do are kept put away neatly where I don't have to see it all of the time. I do have family members who are extreme pack rats though. A couple family members who don't throw anything away. I went to a family members house to visit. I went grocery shopping to make sure that she had food my kids would eat (they're picky). When I got to her place there was no room in the fridge because of all of the junk in there. Juice bottles by the gallons that had expired in 2008! It was crazy to me. The first thing that came to mind when I saw that, and many other piles of junk that she didn't need, was the preview of the show I'd seen. She is a very organized person though-no mounds of garbage in her livingroom or anything of the sort, just neat, organized stacks of things she doesn't need.
The idea of hoarding is very interesting to me being one who always finds something that needs to be thrown out. I wonder what it is with a person that makes them feel the need to hold on to bottles of old grease and stacks of magazines from years ago.
Is there a difference psychologically between people who hoard junk and people who hoard animals? Usually people hoarding animals are compensating for something. They feel that they are lacking companionship or they've lost a loved one, even if that loved one is only an adult child who has just left home; I believe it's called empty-nest syndrome. That I can understand, though it still seems a bit extreme to me, but what type of satisfaction can a person get from having so many piles of trash in their home that they have to sleep outside?

Myrddin

This reminds me of the episode of Friends with Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, a fellow paleontologist Ross is dating.

This reminds me of the episode of Friends with Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, a fellow paleontologist Ross is dating.
I remember that episode. Didn't Ross smash a rat in her apartment and she was afraid it was her hamster? Then Monica wanted to come and clean up the house. I wonder where the line is drawn between slob and hoarder though?

Myrddin

I remember that episode. Didn't Ross smash a rat in her apartment and she was afraid it was her hamster? Then Monica wanted to come and clean up the house. I wonder where the line is drawn between slob and hoarder though?
LOL. Yeah.