History courses

Have you taken any history courses lately? I took an art history class and learned a lot about the Greeks and Romans, including mythology. It would be neat to take a history course that dealt specifically with urban legends and myths.

Rhonda Tharp

In the last 6 months, I've attended lectures over Daoism, Confucianism, Shinto, Feng Shui, I Ching, Buddhism, Korean Shamanism, and Xinjiang (Chinese Province full of different cultural and religious backgrounds). I learned a lot, but I felt like I also just scratched the surface of these beliefs. Cultural beliefs and myths played a role in some of them, like the Chinese creator Pangu and the Japanese creators Izanagi and Izanami.

I also teach 8th grade US History, and I bring in some of the folklore and "myths" associated with founding fathers, DC, Revolutionary and Civil War "ghosts" and such. The kids love it.

wow rhonda, you are a teacher? :cool: cool!
my 6th grade teacher introduced me to the world of myth, that's why I am really thankful to her.your students are so lucky they have a teacher like you! :)

Myrddin

I don't have the discipline for history classes, though I do find history interesting. I guess it's just the focus on the subject that I lack. Certainly anything to do with mythology and folklore, I will be there, ready with pen and paper in my hand.

I saw that my college is offering a course on religion, mythology, and urban legends but unfortunately it is full for this semester. I was really disappointed to hear that but I am otherwise excited about the upcoming semester. Maybe I will buy the textbook anyway and learn on my own.

Myrddin

I saw that my college is offering a course on religion, mythology, and urban legends but unfortunately it is full for this semester. I was really disappointed to hear that but I am otherwise excited about the upcoming semester. Maybe I will buy the textbook anyway and learn on my own.
That's to bad. Maybe it will be availbale again in the next semester. I always find it's easier to learn something when you have someone guiding you along who knows what they're talking about. You can only get so much from a book.

That's to bad. Maybe it will be availbale again in the next semester. I always find it's easier to learn something when you have someone guiding you along who knows what they're talking about. You can only get so much from a book.
That's true. I find it easier to learn when I have an instructor, especially to facilitate discussion. I might add myself to the waiting list and see what happens. If not I plan on taking a cultural history class.

Myrddin

That's true. I find it easier to learn when I have an instructor, especially to facilitate discussion. I might add myself to the waiting list and see what happens. If not I plan on taking a cultural history class.
You should do that, add yourself to the waiting list. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Ren

I'm a history major currently pursuing a BA. My favorite courses so far have been Ancient Mediterranean, Art History: Prehistory-1400, Women in History, and World Empires. While we surveyed the Egyptians briefly in Ancient Med, I would like to take a class specifically to Egypt, as well as a class on ancient medicine.