Help with new company name

fibi ducks

i make wooden furniture/ architectural elements/ carvings. mostly carvings though. i've always traded under my own name but i'm really tired of this. it makes me feel like - bored and boring. So i thought of appointing a patron(ess) spirit and naming my company from them.
These days I'm using more freshly cut timber, so i'm closer to the forest than i was as an apprentice, when everything came from store houses and abroad. a tree spirit maybe?
Any thoughts appreciated.
(by the way i'm based in england - if that's relevant).

LegendofJoe

When I think of wood I think of the tree spirits from Greek mythology.
Dryads or Hamadryads were spirits of trees.
Dryope is a woman who turned into a tree as punishment.
Daphne is a pretty name. She became a tree to escape from Apollo.
In Russian myth there are the Rusalki. These are a type of mermaid, but when the weather gets warm, they
climb out unto trees and sing to seduce men.

Myrddin

Well, there's Robor a Celtic god of oak trees; Abnoab, a Celtic goddess of rivers and forests; Cernunnos, a Celtic god of many things including nature and woodlands; Druantia is a Celtic goddess of many theings including trees; Flidais, an Irish Celtic goddess of woodlands and forests among othe things; The Horned God is a Celtic deity of the forest and nature; Lud, an Irish and Welsh Celtic god of carpenters; Merlin, a Welsh/British Celtic deity of woodlands and nature; and Tuan McCarell, an Irish Celtic deity of woodlands. That all I've got for now.

fibi ducks

these are all good to consider but i'd prefer someone local to me - so perhaps that means anglo saxon? does anyone know who Bran was ? that's a name that sounds local to me.

So Lud was a god of carpenters? I'll definitely look into that one. Also Dryad could work although its not english.

fibi ducks

i just read up on Bran - the Voyage of Bran - I'm really gobsmacked. it will stay with me now.
(nothing to do with carpenters of course).

fibi ducks

Well, there's ....... Lud, an Irish and Welsh Celtic god of carpenters
Hi Myrddin,
I looked up Lud. I found him as an Old King of part of (now) England which included London. This is before the Romans came here. Geoffrey of Monmouth talks about him in his History of the Kings of England - which I'll look up ( but haven't yet). He was responsible for a lot of building work and is linked to London - maybe he refortified it? But Monmouth says London is named after him as being derived from Cear Lud, meaning Lud's Fortress. And he's said to be buried here, under the old site of Ludgate. (This was a gate to the city but it was demolished around 1760. For a long time it housed a debtors prison, but this had the reputation of being a very pleasant one, and the designer of the gate and prison lived there himself - but in debt I suppose. Of course this sounds unlikely, but the story is that at one point people prefered to stay there than leave). Anyway, Lud is said to be buried below the site, which is just close to St Paul's Cathedral.
So, this Lud seems to be a different person to the Irish and Welsh God you mentioned. Maybe there's a connection - I don't know.
But I am now pleased to say that I have set up in the name of LUD'S WOOD. I've made a minimal webpage at www.ludswood.com which I'll build on.
Yesterday I was with a freind and we went into town to visit the site of the old Ludgate, and also found, partly by accident, the statues of Lud and his two sons that were on the gate but have now been moved to a church near-bye. I recognised the name of the church from my internet research, and a woman inside who was cleaning up took us round to the side of the place behind a hot chocolate stand where there were the three of them. She didn't know who they were, and there was no sign, but one was taller than the other two, and they all had large British moustaches (I think the ancient Britons had the reutation for having such moustaches). Having seen these places it all felt right, so that's that and thanks to yourself and Legend of Joe for the leads.