Help with choosing characters for a story!

Fario

Im currently in the process of writing a story with mythology as a main point. Sadly, neither my collaborators or myself are big on mythological knowledge, though we all have a huge interest. We are currently looking for 3 characters of mythological origin.
A male, not too powerful or old, with a generally serious or introspective demeanor. (Everything is subjective, we would most probably have cast Loki if he wasn't so overused already)
A female, not too powerful or old, personality can vary, any suggestions are welcome
A male, preferably older, with a generally benign personality, with power over spheres like revelry, nature, wine, etc. We are currently thinking of using Pan, or Dionysius, but we can change it.
Preferably known to some, if it's too obscure it might be hard to use. (Obscure meaning it doesn't have a Wikipedia page.) Resources and links would be welcome. I am an artist, so I probably will be posting some art to keep this thread going. Any help is appreciated.

Myrddin

1. Male, none too powerful: From the Welsh branch of Celtic myth, Pwyll is a mortal human, the Prince of Dyfed. He falls in love with the beuatiful Rhiannon, and fathers her child, the Celtic hero Pryderi.
2. Female, none too powerful: As mentioned above, Rhiannon is of Welsh-Celtic myth. She falls for Pwyll, and gives birth to their child. This starts a tragic chain of events for Rhiannon since she had been promised to someone else, and as punishment from the suitors father, he laid a curse on her. Because of this curse, at Pryderi's birth, he is stolen, and Rhiannon is falsely accused of murdering the child. Only after seven years of punishment for the crime, Pryderi is found, identified, and returned to her. Unfortunately, the curse continues to dog her, and as a result both she Pryderi go through rough times. Rhiannon is often identified with horses (she is riding one, when Pwyll first lays eyes on her and falls in love, and her son was found in a stable).
3. Male, quite powerful: From both Celtic myth and Arthurian Legend, there is the great sorcerer Merlin, or Myrddin, who is quite powerful and wise, with a great understanding of nature, and the world in general. He would be perfect for the kind of character you seem to looking for. I'm not sure if you know Harry Potter at all, but if you do, the character of Dumbledore is a lot like him, and most definitely based on Merlin, if that helps describe him for you.
m
I assume you want to stick with one area of myth or another, as opposed to mixing them up. Celtic, or Norse, or Greek, or Roman, etc. Find one and stcik with it, that sort of thing?

Fario

Thank you Myrddin for a response! I realize I've been to vague, let me explain.
I'm actually looking to combine mythologies. Having the first two characters be from different mythological backgrounds would do for great character development. Our story is actually set in the modern world.
The older male is actually supposed to be the villain of the arc. He is desperately trying to mantain his hold in the mortal world, creating a paradise on Earth that ultimately has to be destroyed by the protagonists, as it conflicts with the advancement of humanity. Thats why we want a character that is not considered evil in traditional mythology, so we can give a compelling story from the villains perspective, and make the protagonists wonder if they are actually doing the correct thing. Also, thinking about it, this character could be female.

cool, I also have an on-going manga [manhwa (to be precise)], that focuses on myth, too. it seems like some of our idea are alike. :)

Myrddin

Thank you Myrddin for a response! I realize I've been to vague, let me explain.
I'm actually looking to combine mythologies. Having the first two characters be from different mythological backgrounds would do for great character development. Our story is actually set in the modern world.
The older male is actually supposed to be the villain of the arc. He is desperately trying to mantain his hold in the mortal world, creating a paradise on Earth that ultimately has to be destroyed by the protagonists, as it conflicts with the advancement of humanity. Thats why we want a character that is not considered evil in traditional mythology, so we can give a compelling story from the villains perspective, and make the protagonists wonder if they are actually doing the correct thing. Also, thinking about it, this character could be female.
So, basically you want to combine a few different mythologies, and take a nice, kind, well-respected deity from mythology and make him/her evil? I'd like to be able to help you, but for that I can't. Sorry.:(